Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie-library not visible in Finder

Hi!

The iMovielibrary.imovielibrary doesn't show in Finder.

The folder "Movies" only contains four other folders named "Events", "Projects", "Archive" and "Edited".

These folders is usually in a package called iMovie Library.imovielibrary, right?

The iMovie app works fine and is able to find all the files in those folders but the problem is that I can´t copy my library to an external backup disc and import the library from it if the files are not in a package.

How can I solve this? Any ideas?

iMac 27", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2019 7:24 AM

Hi,

The four folders that you listed are not iMovie 10 library folders. They might relate to a previous version of iMovie. You would need to open them to see what's in them. In any case, they are not relevant to your issue.

We know that the library is in Finder because iMovie can open it. Sometimes the iMovie Library folder does not appear in the Movies folder that you can access from the Finder icon on the Dock. Try looking directly in Go/Home/Movies from the Finder menu. Your iMovie library should be in the Movies folder. If it is not in there, then do a spotlight search for iMovie Library.imovielibrary.

-- Rich

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2019 7:24 AM in response to Manetplanet

Hi,

The four folders that you listed are not iMovie 10 library folders. They might relate to a previous version of iMovie. You would need to open them to see what's in them. In any case, they are not relevant to your issue.

We know that the library is in Finder because iMovie can open it. Sometimes the iMovie Library folder does not appear in the Movies folder that you can access from the Finder icon on the Dock. Try looking directly in Go/Home/Movies from the Finder menu. Your iMovie library should be in the Movies folder. If it is not in there, then do a spotlight search for iMovie Library.imovielibrary.

-- Rich

Jun 15, 2019 7:13 AM in response to Manetplanet

O.K. That explains it. iMovie version 9 doesn't have a library and hence no iMovie Library folder. Instead it has a Projects folder and an Events Folder as you have found. To copy or back up your projects and events to an external drive, do an Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste, of the Projects Folder and the Events folder into the external drive. The external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If you need to reformat your external drive be aware that reformatting erases all data on the drive, so first remove any data that you want to keep.

Another thing is that the Projects Folder and the Events Folder must be copied to the root level of the external drive (that is, not in any other folder. Otherwise, iMovie will not be able to find them.

-- Rich

Jun 15, 2019 11:54 PM in response to Manetplanet

Here are some additional notes that may help.

This link was posted by AppleMan1958 some years ago.

Take note of his comment about an error concerning Projects.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4141

The 3 links in his post take you to the same point,not sure why, namely info on copy/move project so these are the correct links,I hope.

Copy or move Project ( take note of AppleMan's mentioned error )

https://help.apple.com/imovie/#move7d66613

Copy or move Event

https://help.apple.com/imovie/#mov3ac6d42c

Consolidate a Project's media

https://help.apple.com/imovie/#mov3ac6c7c9

Best to read through whole article to get to grips with it.

Jun 15, 2019 1:58 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for answering, Rich.

For your info I run iMovie 9.0.4 on iMac mid 2011, OSX El Capitan10.11.6

I look directly in Go/Home/Movies folder and all my video files is located in the Events folder.

If I search for .imovielibrary in Spotlight there´s no match.

So, I guess iMovie uses the Movies folder to open up the files and projects?

Any ideas?

iMovie-library not visible in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.