Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Projects Empty!

Over the last year I created about 20 iMovie projects in a library on an external drive and using my MacBook Pro and the latest iOS and iMovie. Last night I plugged the external drive into a 2013 iMac with older iOS and iMovie software -- not only did it not open the projects, but when I plugged the external drive back into my newer MacBook Pro it shows all of the Projects as having 0 seconds worth of content! I didn't use Time Machine or backups since the library was on an external drive. Is there any way to get these Projects back?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 3:36 PM

You might be able to get your projects back from the iMovie Backups folder. To get there, go to the Finder menu and follow this file path: Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovie Backups. When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library. Click on one dated previous to the problem. iMovie will open in that library. Go to your projects and see if they now have content.

If your external drive was formatted other than Mac OS Extended (Journaled) possibly that was the cause of the issue.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2019 3:36 PM in response to Hunter Allen

You might be able to get your projects back from the iMovie Backups folder. To get there, go to the Finder menu and follow this file path: Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovie Backups. When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library. Click on one dated previous to the problem. iMovie will open in that library. Go to your projects and see if they now have content.

If your external drive was formatted other than Mac OS Extended (Journaled) possibly that was the cause of the issue.

-- Rich

iMovie Projects Empty!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.