Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iMovie Project from external drive

Hi everyone,

I moved all of the files from a project I just "finished" in iMovie 10 to an external hard drive. It turns out I was not finished, and that I did not move the files properly. I just copied them from the iMovie library and pasted into the hard drive. I've learned my lesson for next time, but is there any way to open the project again in iMovie? I tried pasting the files back into my iMovie library, but that did not work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 3:05 PM

Hi, stuckemn,

To clarify, in order to "move" a file you would need to do an Edit/Cut and then Edit/Paste it into the external drive. Is that what you did? In other words, not an Edit/Copy but rather an Edit/Cut. Also, did you remove the files from the Original Media folder of the project in the Show Package Contents folder? If not, how did you remove the files? What happened when you tried to put them back in?

If you actually moved your media from the iMovie library, then the project is disabled.

If you keep a Time Machine backup you can restore your library to a point in time just before you moved the files.

You could also look in the Backups folder to find an iMovie library backup that preceded your moving of the files, although if the media files have been removed it probably won't work. Worth a try, anyway. To get to the iMovie Backups folder,

follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   After iMovie opens, navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 3:05 PM in response to stuckemn

Hi, stuckemn,

To clarify, in order to "move" a file you would need to do an Edit/Cut and then Edit/Paste it into the external drive. Is that what you did? In other words, not an Edit/Copy but rather an Edit/Cut. Also, did you remove the files from the Original Media folder of the project in the Show Package Contents folder? If not, how did you remove the files? What happened when you tried to put them back in?

If you actually moved your media from the iMovie library, then the project is disabled.

If you keep a Time Machine backup you can restore your library to a point in time just before you moved the files.

You could also look in the Backups folder to find an iMovie library backup that preceded your moving of the files, although if the media files have been removed it probably won't work. Worth a try, anyway. To get to the iMovie Backups folder,

follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   After iMovie opens, navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

Restore iMovie Project from external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.