Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mid-2012 MacBook Pro and Mojave -- yes or no?

If I follow the Apple Support compatibility test and go to SysInfo/Graphics, I see "Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1v3". Problem is that if I read further on Apples's Mojave compatibility page, it says the relevant supported video card is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition -- my MacBook has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. There is a significant spec difference between these two cards (2GB vs 1GB memory; 256 bit vs 128 bit bus; 1536 vs 384 cores; 128 vs 32 TMUs; 32 vs 16 ROPS).

Bottom line, looks like my MacBook will run Mojave, but will I see such a significant impact on my graphics with the GT 650 that I'd be better off staying on High Sierra? I don't play games or do a ton of high-res video editing -- what else might cause me issues?

And, yeah, I know this is an "ancient" MacBook, but I bought it new with every possible power/memory option and even 7 years later, it still has way more capability than I demand of it (plus the keyboard always works, it has built-in slots and ports, and the mag-safe connector has paid for itself many times over).

Move to Mojave or stay where I am?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 9:02 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 14, 2019 9:46 AM in response to 6-Speed

MacBook, but I bought it new with every possible power/memory option and even 7 years later, it still has way more capability than I demand of it (plus the keyboard always works, it has built-in slots and ports, and the mag-safe connector has paid for itself many times over).

The rule of thumb is you should have more than one backup no matter what, especially before an upgrade of the macOS. In this way you can always fall back, no matter what the issue.

You make no mention of RAM or SSD (?)

Your mid-2012 is quite capable of running the latest macOS— If you have not upgraded your hardware to an SSD, then you are severely missing out on a life changing experience and a chance to breathe new life into your old workhorse.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/mac-pro/2009-2012

always recommended to install a new SATA cable at the same time:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/8211480/%20%2013%22%20MacBook%20Pro%20SATA

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

Jun 14, 2019 9:28 AM in response to 6-Speed

Why don’t you create a bootable clone of your system on an external drive and then upgrade your internal to Mojave. That way you can check it out and, if something does not work, you can boot into your external, wipe the internal, and clone back your system. Not much lost except a bit of time.

I did that on mine (same model) and an attempt at High Sierra left mine totally unresponsive, so I decided to revert to Sierra.

mid-2012 MacBook Pro and Mojave -- yes or no?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.