Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow iMac

My iMac became very slow after updating to Mojave. I have made an Etrechech report, but I dont understand it very well. can anybody help?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 10:38 AM

"zoom.R16DeviceManager" Do you know what this is, Etrecheck is flagging it as possible adware. If you don't use it or don't know what it is delete it.

You are running on a slow 5400 RPM hard drive which doesn't help your speed. But if it's slower since Mojave, I'd suspect your Login Items may be the issue. Try starting in Safe Mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

That will disable the Login Items and you can test. It will take longer to start, so don't worry about that because it runs some system checks and cache cleaning. If that helps you can remove them from System Preferences > Users & Groups and test.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2019 10:38 AM in response to henrik180

"zoom.R16DeviceManager" Do you know what this is, Etrecheck is flagging it as possible adware. If you don't use it or don't know what it is delete it.

You are running on a slow 5400 RPM hard drive which doesn't help your speed. But if it's slower since Mojave, I'd suspect your Login Items may be the issue. Try starting in Safe Mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

That will disable the Login Items and you can test. It will take longer to start, so don't worry about that because it runs some system checks and cache cleaning. If that helps you can remove them from System Preferences > Users & Groups and test.

Jun 15, 2019 8:27 AM in response to henrik180

Uninstall the Anti-Virus as per the developers instructions, then test.

No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

Jun 15, 2019 2:13 PM in response to henrik180

Your welcome. To troubleshoot the login items, it's a process of elimination. You should disable all of them from System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items using the minus (-) button. Then add them back with the plus button testing each time until you find the culprit(s).

Other than that all I can suggest is to upgrade to an SSD. That will make a dramatic improvement in your speed.

Jun 16, 2019 4:32 PM in response to henrik180

Jeg kan se på, din Etrecheck Report,at du har den samme iMac 21.5" Late 2013.,som jeg selv har!

Ertrecheck Testen,er kun en rette-snor,men fortæller ikke direkte,hva der skal gøres?

At du har haft Antivirus indstalleret,er ikke godt for Mac?

Så det skal fjernes øjeblikkeligt,det AV, hva osse,der er blevet foreslået?

Jeg kan undre mig over hvorfor ikke at der blir henvist til en gendannelse af MacOS,i stedet for en Etrecheck Report,som intet løser,i dit tilfælde?

Jeg gendanner Min/mine Mac computere,når de blir for træge og sløve,og BadeBolden kommer for tit?

Command R,eller Command Option R,men du kan osse gendanne fra en Time Machine Kopi!

Den sang med den sløve RPM Harddisk,er nu, pludselig blevet et problem,men var det ikke i 2013,og i de næste år frem?

Booting i Safe Mode,er osse kun at trække pinen unødigt,efter min mening!

Vi får aldig en ny computer,med den 2013 model vi har,men vi kan forsøge med en gendannelse af MacOS,at få den til at køre noget hurtigere end den gør i øjeblikket?

Slow iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.