Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parallels can't find installed, working W10 Boot Camp partition

I have scoured posts, forums, and discussions and can't find a solution to this. Many similar issues, but nothing that solves my problem.

I purchased a new, 2019 MBP and immediately installed W10 through Boot Camp after doing the initial setup of the MacOS. Later, I purchased Parallels and attempted to put my installed W10 Boot Camp partition in there using the directions listed here: https://kb.parallels.com/112941. My Boot Camp partition is not found when viewing Configuration > Hardware > Hard Disk 1 > Source.

Looking in DiskUtil, I have two internal partitions (both on the same SSD): 'Macintosh HD' and 'BOOTCAMP'. The Boot Camp partition is grayed out, likely due to it being unmounted. Right-clicking the name and choosing 'mount' has no response. Selecting the 'Mount' icon right below the Disk Utility header also does nothing. Trying to mount from terminal using 'sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3' responds with 'Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount. If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option."

Any ideas of where to go from here? I've seen many posts about Paragon and similar tools; I do not and have not had these installed. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 5:22 PM

Similar questions

22 replies

Jun 15, 2019 5:43 PM in response to pentaROOT

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that your 2019 MacBook Pro has a T2 security chip or that your Macintosh HD is APFS. I'm just wondering if Parallels has an issue dealing with one or the other. If nobody else has a good suggestion for you I'd at least ask the Parallels folks if they have any idea.

I'm not sure why exactly you're doing Boot Camp and Parallels, but if your Windows 10 has been customized and such how you like it and you don't want to do it all over again doing a Parallels Windows 10 from scratch you could make an in-Windows 10 backup, install Windows 10 from scratch in Boot Camp, and in that Windows restore your backup. That's just something to keep in mind, otherwise I would definitely at least confirm with Parallels what you're doing is still supported in Mojave, on a MacBook Pro w/ T2, and on an APFS Macintosh HD. Since that support article only mentions OS X it makes me think it may have not been tested with such recent software and hardware.

Jun 15, 2019 6:26 PM in response to rcosta887

I would like to use Parallels to keep native Mac programs open at the same time (let’s be honest, it’s 100% for iMessage). That’s a good idea with backing up the current Boot Camp and restoring it in Parallels. I’ve been using the Windows Boot Camp for a few months now and just know it will be time intensive to make sure everything is configured appropriately again after (DropBox, work apps, etc.).

As you’re spot on with all the articles posted about this being for legacy versions, I’ll reach out to Parallels and will see what they say.

Jun 15, 2019 6:30 PM in response to pentaROOT

Don't make a second copy of Windows to use in Parallels. Your setup of using your Boot Camp installation as the Parallels target installation is preferred. If you have two copies of Windows installed you will need multiple licenses. Your Windows installations will not be synched and any apps running in both copies of Windows will not be synched.

Jun 16, 2019 6:49 AM in response to pentaROOT

pentaROOT wrote:

Looking in DiskUtil, I have two internal partitions (both on the same SSD): 'Macintosh HD' and 'BOOTCAMP'. The Boot Camp partition is grayed out, likely due to it being unmounted. Right-clicking the name and choosing 'mount' has no response. Selecting the 'Mount' icon right below the Disk Utility header also does nothing. Trying to mount from terminal using 'sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3' responds with 'Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount. If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option."

macOS has a built-in read-only NTFS driver, which automatically mounts the BC/Windows partition. There is no need to mount it manually. If you have installed any third-party NTFS products, they interfere with the native Apple driver.

From macOS Terminal, can you post the output of

diskutil list

Also, does Windows work properly when you boot it through Bootcamp?

Jun 16, 2019 8:48 AM in response to Loner T

I have not installed any third-party NTFS products on this MBP. I tried mounting the partition as it was mentioned in a troubleshooting forum post to mount the partition if it was not showing in Parallels as a source option.

Windows does work properly when booted through Boot Camp. I use it in Windows 99% of the time for 10+ hours on working days; never had an issue.

joshuas-mbp:~ pentaroot$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         2.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         500.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                1.5 TB     disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +500.0 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            67.1 GB    disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 44.3 MB    disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                509.8 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      1.1 GB     disk1s4

Jun 17, 2019 3:01 PM in response to Loner T

Joshuas-MacBook-Pro:~ pentaroot$ diskutil info disk0s3
   Device Identifier:         disk0s3
   Device Node:               /dev/disk0s3
   Whole:                     No
   Part of Whole:             disk0

Volume Name:               BOOTCAMP
   Mounted:                   No

Partition Type:            Microsoft Basic Data
   File System Personality:   NTFS
   Type (Bundle):             ntfs
   Name (User Visible):       Windows NT File System (NTFS)

OS Can Be Installed:       No
   Media Type:                Generic
   Protocol:                  PCI-Express
   SMART Status:              Verified
   Volume UUID:               868C2646-D122-438C-AE45-BCD38EA2327E
   Disk / Partition UUID:     279B85F6-BA27-4E0C-A4B6-15962A4A2CFE
   Partition Offset:          500315455488 Bytes (122147328 4096-Byte-Device-Blocks)

Disk Size:                 1.5 TB (1500795371520 Bytes) (exactly 2931240960 512-Byte-Units)
   Device Block Size:         4096 Bytes

Volume Total Space:        0 B (0 Bytes) (exactly 0 512-Byte-Units)
   Volume Free Space:         0 B (0 Bytes) (exactly 0 512-Byte-Units)

Read-Only Media:           No
   Read-Only Volume:          Not applicable (not mounted)

Device Location:           Internal
   Removable Media:           Fixed

Solid State:               Yes
   Hardware AES Support:      Yes

Joshuas-MacBook-Pro:~ pentaroot$ 

Jun 17, 2019 6:37 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for helping so much with this. I'm still waiting to hear back from Parallels Support.

Joshuas-MacBook-Pro:~ pentaroot$ mount -v
/dev/disk1s1 on / (apfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
/dev/disk1s4 on /private/var/vm (apfs, local, noexec, journaled, noatime, nobrowse)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
Joshuas-MacBook-Pro:~ pentaroot$

Parallels can't find installed, working W10 Boot Camp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.