Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD external drive will not mount

What is preventing my WD USB ExFAT drive from mounting with my 2018 Mac mini running Ventura 13.0?

Troubleshooting done already:

1. Tried 'Mount' in Disk Utility.
  2. Confirming this 2018 Mac Mini has an 'Apple T21 Security Chip', I shut down and unplugged the power cable for more than 15 seconds to try resetting the SMC.
  3. I booted up with nothing but a monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected, then plugged in hard drive to see if it would work.
  4. I just confirmed it works with Windows 11, so the problem appears to be this mac, not the drive.
  5. I just uninstalled Zoom in case its update was interfering somehow.

Possibly relevant details?

1. last used successfully on 30 October
  2. installed Zoom 5.11.6.9890 on 1 November
  3. installed GarageBand 10.4.7 on 2 November
  4. installed Logic Pro 10.7.5 on 2 November
  5. uninstalled Zoom and restarted prior to posting here; problem remains
  6. I have two VGA monitors, and an "Adaptermvp"-brand VGA-to-USBC adapter from Amazon.com appears to prevent the mac from starting up properly (i.e. after the startup sound the monitors remain 'No signal'), so I ultimately had to hold the power button to turn the mac back off, unplug that adapter, then boot it up, log in, and reconnect it. One hypothesis I have for why the drive won't mount now is that the multiple on-off-on-off of the mac while I was figuring this out has caused some macOS error relating to mounting accessories. Hence I tried resetting the SMC.

Thank you for your time.

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 11:17 AM

Less than an hour after posting this question, my hard drive automatically mounted and works now. Perhaps a combination of the following succeeded in clearing whatever software error was in place:

1. resetting the SMC
  2. uninstalling whatever software has been installed since the USB drive last worked*: About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Software > Installations > Install Date (sort by descending)
  3. booting up with only monitor, mouse, and keyboard
  4. connecting the USB drive after logging in (perhaps wait a bit for startup items to finish loading)
  5. waiting several minutes

* I only uninstalled Zoom; other software installed -- updated -- was GarageBand and Logic Pro.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 11:17 AM in response to ethereality

Less than an hour after posting this question, my hard drive automatically mounted and works now. Perhaps a combination of the following succeeded in clearing whatever software error was in place:

1. resetting the SMC
  2. uninstalling whatever software has been installed since the USB drive last worked*: About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Software > Installations > Install Date (sort by descending)
  3. booting up with only monitor, mouse, and keyboard
  4. connecting the USB drive after logging in (perhaps wait a bit for startup items to finish loading)
  5. waiting several minutes

* I only uninstalled Zoom; other software installed -- updated -- was GarageBand and Logic Pro.

Nov 6, 2022 3:55 AM in response to Ria_23

Why do you say the root cause is with WD and not macOS?

I've returned here because, after turning off and unplugging both the Mac Mini and the WD drive overnight, the problem has returned, i.e. what I thought solved it didn't.

To add insult to injury, it appears Apple will not let me "unselect" this incorrect solution to remove the misleading 'Solved' banner.

Nov 7, 2022 5:36 PM in response to ethereality

... and again, after waiting, the drive finally mounted of its own accord. However, I did replace a VGA cable + VGA-to-USBC adapter (the problematic adapter I specified above) with a DVI-to-USBC cable for my hp monitor. Whether that is responsible for correcting this second bout of drive-not-mounting I know not how to ascertain.

(... Sorry for that grammar: I've been reading old books lately. 😅...)

WD external drive will not mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.