Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

External drive wont mount

Hello,

I recently of updated to Ventura 13 on my iMac. A few days later my external drive that was operating was un able to mount. I have tested this on a second Mac with an older operating system and the drive mounts perfectly. I have gone through a safe start up and the drive does show up and functions fine, I can open files etc. It does not show up and I cannot use it on a normal start up.

Any help appreciated.

thanks,

Steve

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 2:15 PM

John,

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I just fixed the problem by going to my startup items and turning off all items that were from unknown developers and obsolete programs. Basically anything I did not recognize and no longer use. The disk is showing on startup and all is good.

Best regards,

Steve

14 replies

Apr 21, 2023 4:10 PM in response to Steve Ades

As John requisitions please download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Apr 21, 2023 7:27 PM in response to Steve Ades

Not sure this is the cause of any crashing but...

Delete this file & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.snap.SnapCameraAutoLaunch.plist

~ tilde indicates your home folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

External drive wont mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.