Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display colors way off

I have a Macbook Pro, model A1708, OS 10.14.5. Recently, maybe about the time of the update to OS, my display colors are not at all natural. It seems to correct after about 30 minutes or so. Is my display going bad?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 4:08 AM

Does this only happen when you first turn on your MacBook Pro at the beginning of the day? I'm wondering if you are having a hardware issue that only clears itself once your MacBook Pro warms up (which would definitely be a service issue) or if you are running into something else like the new Night Shift feature of Mojave that will change your color levels depending on the time of day:

How to use Night Shift on your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't seem to be the issue the next time you start up your MacBook Pro first thing in the day try holding down the SHIFT key on power on to boot into Safe Boot Mode to see if the colors seem normal there. You can also boot into Recovery Mode (macOS Utilities) by holding down COMMAND-R first thing in the morning and see if the colors take a while to become normal. If either of these modes still produce the same problem you definitely need to seek service:

https://locate.apple.com

If neither of those modes have this problem first thing in the morning on a cold boot, then it's likely some type of software issue that needs to be examined further. You can try doing an SMC reset for good measure as well as there is at least a chance this could clear that up:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2019 4:08 AM in response to wvgj

Does this only happen when you first turn on your MacBook Pro at the beginning of the day? I'm wondering if you are having a hardware issue that only clears itself once your MacBook Pro warms up (which would definitely be a service issue) or if you are running into something else like the new Night Shift feature of Mojave that will change your color levels depending on the time of day:

How to use Night Shift on your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't seem to be the issue the next time you start up your MacBook Pro first thing in the day try holding down the SHIFT key on power on to boot into Safe Boot Mode to see if the colors seem normal there. You can also boot into Recovery Mode (macOS Utilities) by holding down COMMAND-R first thing in the morning and see if the colors take a while to become normal. If either of these modes still produce the same problem you definitely need to seek service:

https://locate.apple.com

If neither of those modes have this problem first thing in the morning on a cold boot, then it's likely some type of software issue that needs to be examined further. You can try doing an SMC reset for good measure as well as there is at least a chance this could clear that up:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Display colors way off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.