Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi doesn’t stay connected on mac mini

I know the issue is with the mini as there’s also a mbp and iphone on the network and only the mini has dropouts. When the wifi on the mini goes down it still shows full wifi signal on the icon, just nothing connects. The only quick remedy is to turn wifi off and back on which fixes it within seconds only to go back down in <10 minutes. Again there’s no issue of this with any other device I connect to the network. Hoping someone recognizes this issue and can immediately point to something. I’ve dealt with this far longer than I really should have to the point that I just sort of avoid using the device at all. Both the mini and the mbp are 2012 models.

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 6:04 AM

Any USB3 devices sitting next to the Mac mini? A poorly shielded USB3 enclosure, or USB3 cable can result in WiFi interference when positioned closing to a WiFi enabled computer, phone or WiFi router.

<https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html>

Try a NVRAM and SMC reset

<Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support>

<How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support>

Move your WiFi access point to the top of the preferred networks list

System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi (on the left column) -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi -> Preferred networks

Drag your WiFi access point to the top of the list (this is is updated via iCloud syncing when you sync your keychain, so if you have other devices adding new access points, this list can change behind your back based on the activity of other Apple products you own.

Try creating a new Network Location

System Preferences -> Network -> Location -> Edit Locations -> [+] and configure as necessary.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2019 6:04 AM in response to emeralds11

Any USB3 devices sitting next to the Mac mini? A poorly shielded USB3 enclosure, or USB3 cable can result in WiFi interference when positioned closing to a WiFi enabled computer, phone or WiFi router.

<https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html>

Try a NVRAM and SMC reset

<Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support>

<How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support>

Move your WiFi access point to the top of the preferred networks list

System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi (on the left column) -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi -> Preferred networks

Drag your WiFi access point to the top of the list (this is is updated via iCloud syncing when you sync your keychain, so if you have other devices adding new access points, this list can change behind your back based on the activity of other Apple products you own.

Try creating a new Network Location

System Preferences -> Network -> Location -> Edit Locations -> [+] and configure as necessary.

wifi doesn’t stay connected on mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.