Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS infected?

When I open my MacBook Air it has a warning message that says Mac is is infected with spyware .... must call this number ****868. I didn’t call it but I can’t get rid of this screen ... I am at risk ?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 4:59 PM

You are at risk if you call that number! That's what's called scamware.

Here's what you can do if you can't get past that screen:

1. Hold down the power button until your MacBook Air shuts off.
  2. Turn on the power and immediately hold down the SHIFT key and keep it held down for 30 seconds.
  3. This should boot you in "Safe Boot Mode" and you shouldn't have that screen anymore.
  4. Go to www.malwarebytes.com and download the free version of Malware Bytes for Mac.
  5. Install the software, run it, and do a scan. I imagine it will find some things to remove. Once it's finished just restart normally and hopefully you should be all clear.

And again, just whatever you do don't call that number.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2019 4:59 PM in response to Hollybut

You are at risk if you call that number! That's what's called scamware.

Here's what you can do if you can't get past that screen:

1. Hold down the power button until your MacBook Air shuts off.
  2. Turn on the power and immediately hold down the SHIFT key and keep it held down for 30 seconds.
  3. This should boot you in "Safe Boot Mode" and you shouldn't have that screen anymore.
  4. Go to www.malwarebytes.com and download the free version of Malware Bytes for Mac.
  5. Install the software, run it, and do a scan. I imagine it will find some things to remove. Once it's finished just restart normally and hopefully you should be all clear.

And again, just whatever you do don't call that number.

Mac OS infected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.