Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spyware

While looking up a recipe a warning sign and came up which said "Mac OS is infected with spyware and other malicious applications.

Spyware must be removed and system damage repaired. /n/n It is necessary to call Apple support + 1-844-246-**** and follow virus removal procedure immediately, please proceed.

** If you leave this site your Mac OS Will remain damaged and vulnerable**"

I called the above number and it just didn't sound right! Idid not give him any of the information he asked for. What should I do know?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 10, 2020 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 4:23 PM

All such messages are scams. Assuming you didn't allow the criminal to access your computer, the only step required is to close the offending page and avoid sites that use such bogus advertising tactics.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 4:23 PM in response to Nikon800

All such messages are scams. Assuming you didn't allow the criminal to access your computer, the only step required is to close the offending page and avoid sites that use such bogus advertising tactics.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

May 10, 2020 4:43 PM in response to Nikon800

Nikon800 Said:

"Spyware: While looking up a recipe a warning sign and came up which said "Mac OS is infected with spyware and other malicious applications.[...] I called the above number and it just didn't sound right! Idid not give him any of the information he asked for. What should I do know?"

-------

This is a Scam:

Based on what you provided, this is undoubtedly a Scam. So, here is what you should consider doing now...

A. Take a Screenshot for Apple:

You should take a screenshot of this (message and phone number), and forward it off to Apple at: reportphishing@apple.com. Make a brief description about the screenshot, so Apple know what this is all about.

Go Here:

B. Modify your Credentials:

Did you provide any info? Did you confirm it is you? If so, then your Apple Account's vulnerability would be of high-concern here. So, if you provided anything, consider performing the following:

• Modifying: your login credentials (Using Both a New eMail and a New Password)
  • Associating: a different method of payment to your account
  • Enabling: Two-Factor Authentication for Apple ID and for all other accounts that have such an applicable option

Spyware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.