You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable autoplay of DVDs on Mac

I do NOT want DVDs, or CDs, or Blu-ray Discs to auto start playing on my Mac. If I want to play them, it will be elsewhere. I have set System Preferences as shown, but DVDs still start to play automatically. How do I get to *really* disable this as requested below? (Running 10.14.5)

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 2:09 AM

4 replies

Jun 23, 2019 1:59 PM in response to RahbCanberra

RahbCanberra,

Do you see any app updates? If you've already checked to be sure a third-party app isn't overriding your Mac settings, checking for an update to your media players can help be sure they're compatible with macOS 10.14.5. Also, since this only began happening recently, I recommend trying these additional steps:

1. How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
  2. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac
  3. How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Get in touch with Apple Support if further help is needed: Contact Apple Support

Have a good one.

Jun 20, 2019 2:35 PM in response to RahbCanberra

Hi RahbCanberra,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you’d like to keep your CDs and DVDs from automatically playing on your Mac. I’d love to assist and recommend that you select “Open iTunes” from the drop down menu to prevent CDs from playing right away. You might also want to be sure that any third-party DVD or CD playing software isn't overriding these settings.

If you’re still having trouble, Contact Apple Support directly for further assistance. 

Take care. 

Jun 23, 2019 12:38 AM in response to Joseph_S.

This helped, as it merely brings iTunes to the front (which may already be the case), rather than launching DVD Player, which is usually unwanted. My loading DVDs (or Blu-ray Discs) is usually to either catalogue them, or rip them to iTunes for easy viewing via Apple TV. So this is not the complete solution, but it is a definite improvement and a reasonable workaround. However, I can't help wondering why the System Preferences (ie "ignore") are ignored; this has only started fairly recently, and I cannot think of any change I have made in the meantime, other than system updates.

How to disable autoplay of DVDs on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.