Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Player won't stop automatically launching

I just bought the latest Mac Mini with the following stats:

3.2 GHz 6-Core intel Core i7

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

1 GB SSD

Attached is an Apple Superdrive.

The "DVD Player" app won't stop auto-launching DVDs when I insert them into the drive, EVEN THOUGH I've gone to System Preferences and told it to "Ignore" DVDs when I insert them:

Why? Why on earth would the DVD Player app continue to auto-launch DVDs with this preference set to ignore?

It seems to me that problems like this have been slowly creeping in to the Mac OS X experience.

Posted on May 16, 2020 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 8:28 AM

What I think might be happening, is that a new DVD drive doesn’t have its region set yet (i.e. undetermined). Insert a commercial DVD of the wanted region in the drive, and let DVD Player app prompt you for setting a region. I would expect the behavior from System Preferences to take effect after that.

Change your DVD drive region in DVD Player on Mac - Apple Support

Troubleshooting DVD Player on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 8:28 AM in response to mattfromindy

What I think might be happening, is that a new DVD drive doesn’t have its region set yet (i.e. undetermined). Insert a commercial DVD of the wanted region in the drive, and let DVD Player app prompt you for setting a region. I would expect the behavior from System Preferences to take effect after that.

Change your DVD drive region in DVD Player on Mac - Apple Support

Troubleshooting DVD Player on Mac - Apple Support

DVD Player won't stop automatically launching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.