Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Airport Express for Airplay connection to existing wifi network

Just installed a new Linksys AC1750 router, works great except for Airport Express that I use to link audio to an older music system. Airports needed reset after new router install (new names and pws) and all seemed great. For a couple hours, then both went dead. Opened Airport Utility and saw they both had greyed out - were no longer part of network. So I hard-reset them via Ethernet cable, gave 'em new names, plugged back into stereo -- yay! Music through iTunes with multiple outputs, everything works. For a couple hours, then dead again. Have tried switching the IPv6 setting, reserving the IP addresses, changing names and factory resets. Help!

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 10:29 AM

Playing music from iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) or iPad through iTunes. Linksys router model EA7300

Reset was done using Ethernet on both Airport Express units, then they were unplugged from LAN and tested for WiFi performance -- worked fine for limited time period. Dead means they are greyed out in Airport Utility and marked as previously part of network. If I plug them into router via Ethernet the internet goes down. If I reset them, hard or soft, and restore settings they work again, for a while.

The router is plugged into Arris modem from Wave cable company.

Computer plugged into modem directly accesses Internet. Computer plugged into router accesses Internet. Ethernet to Airport shuts down Internet via router. thanks

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2019 10:29 AM in response to LaPastenague

Playing music from iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) or iPad through iTunes. Linksys router model EA7300

Reset was done using Ethernet on both Airport Express units, then they were unplugged from LAN and tested for WiFi performance -- worked fine for limited time period. Dead means they are greyed out in Airport Utility and marked as previously part of network. If I plug them into router via Ethernet the internet goes down. If I reset them, hard or soft, and restore settings they work again, for a while.

The router is plugged into Arris modem from Wave cable company.

Computer plugged into modem directly accesses Internet. Computer plugged into router accesses Internet. Ethernet to Airport shuts down Internet via router. thanks

Jun 20, 2019 8:15 PM in response to tim heitzman

What device are you playing music from?

What model is the Linksys AC1750? Please look on the base and give us the actual model and revision if any is listed.

Apple airplay depends on bonjour working properly but many routers simply do not comply with what is Apple's secretive protocols.

Airports needed reset after new router install (new names and pws) and all seemed great. For a couple hours, then both went dead.

You always need to reset so this is standard. How do(es) the Airport(s) connect to the linksys .. wired or by wireless in client mode?

Both went down.. sorry this is not clear.. you mean the Linksys also stopped working?? If so it obviously cannot pass your music to the Airport Express. Or do you have multiple Express??

When you say dead.. no clients on the network have any connection?? Including ethernet connected computers?

Has the Linksys continued to dropout after you tweaked every known setting?

Is the Linksys plugged into a pure modem or is it actually bridged to a modem router and the issue is further up the chain?

Can you test with all ethernet? Computer plugged in by ethernet.. ether to the airport express.. so no wireless.. turn off wireless in the computer.. if possible tell us what happens.

Using Airport Express for Airplay connection to existing wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.