Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix app becomes slow on Apple TV

I have a 4th generation Apple TV HD. I have no issues except with the Netflix app. I have a rather lengthy "My List" and ever since they deployed their ribbon interface I've had issues. After I've watched a video and return to the list, the longer I scroll, the scrolling begins to slow down. Over time, it slows so much that the app becomes unresponsive.

The only way to get it going again is to restart the Apple TV. I have no issues with other apps, only Netflix.

I contacted Netflix and after going through the usual motions, restart this and restart that, and explaining I'd done all this and that and telling them this app will work fine for now but act up later, their response was to contact Apple. Contact Apple? Netflix is the only app acting up. They asked if the problem is seen on other apps. I said my Mac is the only other place I watch Netflix. They responded, "Ah, the issue is the Apple TV since it works fine on your Mac."

"Seriously?" I said. The technology is different for each device. One is on a browser, the other is a device specific app. But they stuck with their mantra. Obviously, they're clueless and unwilling to expedite such issues to their app development team. Very pitiful customer service.

So I'm asking everyone here, is anyone else experiencing a Netflix app that runs ever more slowly the longer they use it? It acts like the app is sucking up memory until there's no more available, causing the scrolling to eventually stop scrolling, followed by the app becoming unresponsive all together.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 9:36 PM

I originated this thread. I've had a few discussions with Netflix about this and as others have reported, Netflix insists we contact Apple, which is ludicrous. The problem isn't with anything Apple. My most recent chat session is below.

Jake Netflix

have you tried to unplug your Apple TV and the TV it's connected to from power for at least 2 minutes?

You

yes, same result. TV OS is NOT the problem. go to Apple's community. there are masses of folks experiencing this.

You

if it were, other apps would have issues

Jake Netflix

Alright. Let me reach to our support to help me investigate the issue.

You

you're the first to offer such.

Jake Netflix

Give me a minute.

Jake Netflix

I have reached our support and he'll help me investigate the issue. :)

You

I bet he'll tell you to tell me to call Apple.That's been the mantra.

Jake Netflix

Hold on. Still investigating.

Jake Netflix

Hey there! Thank you for reporting this. Also, can you give us your best email to contact you on? We might reach you out again in case we need further investigation.

This was a few weeks ago. Not surprisingly, I never was contacted afterwards. Netflix is headed down the path to failure by not responding to customer problems, something they cannot afford to do in an increasingly competitive environment. Will Netflix go the way of Blackberry and others? Companies too arrogant by their size to not see the approaching cliff.

168 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2019 9:36 PM in response to Andrew White2

I originated this thread. I've had a few discussions with Netflix about this and as others have reported, Netflix insists we contact Apple, which is ludicrous. The problem isn't with anything Apple. My most recent chat session is below.

Jake Netflix

have you tried to unplug your Apple TV and the TV it's connected to from power for at least 2 minutes?

You

yes, same result. TV OS is NOT the problem. go to Apple's community. there are masses of folks experiencing this.

You

if it were, other apps would have issues

Jake Netflix

Alright. Let me reach to our support to help me investigate the issue.

You

you're the first to offer such.

Jake Netflix

Give me a minute.

Jake Netflix

I have reached our support and he'll help me investigate the issue. :)

You

I bet he'll tell you to tell me to call Apple.That's been the mantra.

Jake Netflix

Hold on. Still investigating.

Jake Netflix

Hey there! Thank you for reporting this. Also, can you give us your best email to contact you on? We might reach you out again in case we need further investigation.

This was a few weeks ago. Not surprisingly, I never was contacted afterwards. Netflix is headed down the path to failure by not responding to customer problems, something they cannot afford to do in an increasingly competitive environment. Will Netflix go the way of Blackberry and others? Companies too arrogant by their size to not see the approaching cliff.

Nov 17, 2019 7:15 AM in response to Andrew White2

Like any browser with too many tabs open, Apple TV uses memory keeping unused apps open. Netflix is affected more than others for some reason. The solution that works for me is to close all apps you currently are not watching. On your Apple remote, double click on the Home button (looks like a TV) and you will see all of the open apps displayed (similar to an iPad). Swipe left/right to select the apps, then swipe up to close the app. Netflix should run normally.

Oct 29, 2019 6:55 AM in response to Andrew White2

Same issue here. Netflix slows to a near literal frame-by-frame crawl and only restarting AppleTV temporarily fixes is. It seemed to start within the last few weeks. Also, I've noticed that I cannot alter "My List" on Netflix at all. I cannot remove or add anything to it. We have two Profiles and neither one's My List works as expected. I'm wondering if that's some conflict between AppleTV accounts and Netflix Profiles. I dunno.

I've sent feedback to Apple via their feedback page for what it's worth.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Feb 23, 2020 7:30 PM in response to Mitthrawnuruodo

You have to

1. Go to Settings on the App
  2. Sign Out
  3. Restart ATV
  4. Relaunch Netflix App
  5. sign In.

That did it for me.

But now they need a “Play Preview” button on the Landing-Page for an Item.

With AutoPlay Previews OFF, it does seem to avoid the slowdown issue; but at the expense of ALL Previews!

The best compromise would be either AutoPlay the Preview on the Landing-Page once you click on an Item, or if you Long-Tap an Item in the Tile List.

Apr 1, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Andrew White2

Same problem here.

As several have already said, it definitly looks like a memory management issue.

Any operation that reduce the memory required by the app may improve it :

• removing items from your list
  • disabling automatic preview
  • last but not least: deleting unused profiles ; the issue started for me as soon as I created a fifth profile, and disappeared totally once I removed one of them.

However I find it is a shame to have such an bug with a widely used app, and be forced to reduce the perimeter of the features...

Apr 22, 2020 7:56 PM in response to Andrew White2

Same issue here. Only app to have issue. Rest are perfect. However I found a solution that worked for me on the first attempt. On your 4K home page double click Siri just like you do on your phone and force closed all the opened apps including netflix. Than go back to Netflix and problem solved. At least it worked for me on the first try. Found this solution while I was researching this issue.

just in case-instructions

From your 4K app homepage

1. double tap Siri-the mic symbol on your remote fast.
  2. Swipe up on all opened apps to force close them.
  3. go back on Netflix and hopefully it solved your issue like it did to me

Jun 20, 2019 10:30 PM in response to Andrew White2

I haven't experienced any issue nor seen reports from others. That being said it would be Netflix's responsibility to fix any issue, and wouldn't have anything to do with Apple since they had no part in developing the app.

You can try force quitting the app as well as deleting and reloading it from the app store, but if it the issue continues then you will need to persist with Netflix.

Jun 21, 2019 7:15 AM in response to vazandrew

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I have tried force quitting and deleting/reinstalling the app. As always, all works well for a while, especially up to completing a movie. Then, as I scroll over my rather lengthy My List, scrolling slows down, getting worse as I continue scrolling until everything freezes.

FYI, after becoming frustrated with their support, I casually mentioned I may have to consider dropping Netflix. Their response was, "that's an option." Seriously? So much for customer satisfaction.

Jun 21, 2019 9:15 AM in response to Andrew White2

No problem.

I would gather not many users are coming to them with this feedback and/or threatening to cancel. If they were you can bet they wouldn't be so casual about it.

May want to survey friends and family that use the service, and if any are experiencing this have them also contact Netflix support and have them let others know as well. Power in numbers.

Best of luck.

Sep 3, 2019 12:08 AM in response to Lex44

With Disney+ and Apple TV+ getting ready to launch I may resort to cancelling Netflix and getting the Disney+ and Hulu bundle and maybe Apple TV+. Netflix on my gen 4 Apple TV is really slow all the time and more than half the time what I’m watching just stops and gives me an error message saying the content isn’t available and to try again later. I’ve called Netflix and they pretty much say it’s not their app causing the issue and that I need to talk to Apple. Tried reasoning with them and I’m they just kept repeating the same line. I don’t really care for much of the Netflix original content so it may be time to just cancel Netflix.

Netflix app becomes slow on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.