Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

boot camp unable to save windows support files error

I am trying to install Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro (13" early 2012) and I get an error that says "Cannot save windows support files" and it kicks me back to the feature selection page. What would cause this to happen? Thank you

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 11:56 AM

Rokslyd wrote:

Here is the result.

Can you post the output of

sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk2

sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk3

So with 2 internal drives I can't use Boot Camp?

You will need to physically disconnect the disk end of the STA cable in the Optibay for the duration of the Windows installation. Windows must be installed on the Main bay disk, and stay in the location. macOS will work from the Optibay disk, which can also be used for non-OS files.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2019 11:56 AM in response to Rokslyd

Rokslyd wrote:

Here is the result.

Can you post the output of

sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk2

sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk3

So with 2 internal drives I can't use Boot Camp?

You will need to physically disconnect the disk end of the STA cable in the Optibay for the duration of the Windows installation. Windows must be installed on the Main bay disk, and stay in the location. macOS will work from the Optibay disk, which can also be used for non-OS files.

Jun 22, 2019 4:20 AM in response to Loner T

Yes I am running OS 10.14.5, and two Samsung Evo SSDs. I am using a blank 128GB PNY USB Drive that is formatted MS-DOS(Fat 32) directly plugged into a 2012 MacBook Pro 13" and nothing else plugged in. I am using an .iso file downloaded several times from Microsoft. I have tried the only two versions available from Microsoft (Oct '18 and May '19) and received the error that says only a 64 bit .iso file can be used. I only downloaded 64 bit .iso files. I figure that the problem must be the 2nd Samsung SSD that I have installed in the optical drive bay using an OWC Data Doubler. Any idea what the problem is?

Jun 23, 2019 10:49 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you Loner T! I was on the right track and you confirmed my suspicions. Once I disconnected the SSD in the optical drive bay Bootcamp worked perfectly and Windows 10 loaded in no time. It works fine and with a little tweeking here and there the software I want to run seems to work. Now if I can get the weather to cooperate I'll try it with my telescope!

boot camp unable to save windows support files error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.