Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search for exact phrase on Preview app

Hi there,

does anybody know how to set the search for an exact phrase?

I have to do many searches in very big documents for my job, and I try very often to make a search just writing down the phrase. But the app find any occurrence of all the single words composing the phrase, and this drives me crazy.

If I had to search a phrase on google, I would write "the phrase" and it works pretty fine. The same trick doesn't seem to work on Preview app.

Thanks

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 10:41 AM

Use a unique, double quoted text string with surrounding white space (e.g. " do you sit there like ") will match a line in Dr. Seuss's Cat in a Hat. Preview does not support wildcards in its search.

You could also match this using Spotlight outside of Preview if you had PDF documents selected in the System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results categories.

kind:pdf AND " do you sit there like "

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2019 10:41 AM in response to mafrom

Use a unique, double quoted text string with surrounding white space (e.g. " do you sit there like ") will match a line in Dr. Seuss's Cat in a Hat. Preview does not support wildcards in its search.

You could also match this using Spotlight outside of Preview if you had PDF documents selected in the System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results categories.

kind:pdf AND " do you sit there like "

Search for exact phrase on Preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.