Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Mac OS X can't be installed" "MacBook (early 2008)"

I'm getting a "Mac OS X can't be installed" message on a MacBook (Early 2008) (that has a freshly erased hard drive) when going through the following steps:

1) Boot from the Mac OS X Install DVD (Mac OS version 10.6.3).

2) Select a language and click the arrow (to go to the 'next' screen').

History: This was given to me as a gift, and it was running 10.6.8. In an effort to learn more about Macintoshes, I attempted to do a fresh install of the OS. So I purchased a 10.6.3 DVD, booted from it, but got that error. Someone suggested that perhaps I should try erasing the hard drive, which I did. I retried the OS install but got the same error. Some else suggested that I try installing the OS from the Internet by booting while holding down Command-R. But I just got a white screen with a flashing folder icon with a question mark on it.

Q1) Is what I'm trying to do (booting from a 10.6.3 DVD to install an OS on an empty hard drive on a MacBook (Early 2008)) not something that I should be expect to be successful?

Q2) What method SHOULD I be using to reinstall an OS on a MacBook (Early 2008) with a freshly erased hard drive? In other words, what method is EXPECTED to work?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas!

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 12:48 PM

Yes, I accepted the default format type of "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I left the Partition 'Option' at the default of "GUID". I had another follow up chat with Apple support and they suggested I try Lion 10.7, so I've ordered it off eBay. Am keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for weighing in, Eric! :-)

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2019 12:48 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes, I accepted the default format type of "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I left the Partition 'Option' at the default of "GUID". I had another follow up chat with Apple support and they suggested I try Lion 10.7, so I've ordered it off eBay. Am keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for weighing in, Eric! :-)

Jul 3, 2019 5:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric - I received the bootleg USB stick with Lion 10.7 on it. Thankfully, I was able to install Mac X OS on my MacBook!

Now I want to purchase a legitimate copy of 10.7. I used your link (http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion), and it brings me to a page where I can click "Add to Bag".

I'm presuming that the Apple store notion of a 'bag' is what pretty much every other web site refers to as a 'cart'. However, I don't see any links on that page for 'seeing what's in my cart' or for 'checking out'.

If you will forgive such a novice question, how the heck does one purchase Lion (at that page whose link you provided) once they've clicked "Add to Bag"?

I even tried clicking "Need some help? Contact us", but the link did nothing, surprisingly.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer! Am looking forward to getting back into the Macintosh world after having been away since 1997!!

Bill

"Mac OS X can't be installed" "MacBook (early 2008)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.