Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install

I have just wiped the hard drive of my old Macbook Pro 2011 in order to prepare it for selling.

I would like to re-install an operating system, but when I try I get the following message from OS X Installer on my screen:

"OS X could not install on your computer.

No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

I feel I'm in a catch 22 as I can't go on the internet to look for an OS that works because I don-t have an OS. So I am stuck. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

(I do have a new Mac now so that might help?)

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 4:46 PM

chekhov15 Said:

"Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install: I have just wiped the hard drive of my old Macbook Pro 2011 in order to prepare it for selling."

-------

Use High Sierra:

You Erased the hard drive, correct? To reinstall, use Recovery Mode, or use a USB Bootable Installer. macOS 10.13 High Sierra is the on version of the three you can use. Create the USB Bootable Installer on another Mac, through Terminal.

Go Here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2020 4:46 PM in response to chekhov15

chekhov15 Said:

"Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install: I have just wiped the hard drive of my old Macbook Pro 2011 in order to prepare it for selling."

-------

Use High Sierra:

You Erased the hard drive, correct? To reinstall, use Recovery Mode, or use a USB Bootable Installer. macOS 10.13 High Sierra is the on version of the three you can use. Create the USB Bootable Installer on another Mac, through Terminal.

Go Here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 12, 2020 1:50 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your reply! I tried to reinstall High Sierra using recovery mode. The process seemed to almost complete before I saw the following message:

"macOS could not be installed on your computer.

The operation could not be completed. (com.apple.osinstall error -3.)

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

Puzzling...

Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.