You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Split Screen - one side larger then the other?

Hello! I'm trying to achieve the following: video side by side - with split screen, but with having one side larger than the other (for example the video on the left side should be shown full size and the video on the right smaller or slimmer)? Any suggestion how I could achieve that?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 5:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2019 7:37 AM

Hi,

First, I need to make a correction to my previous post. The slider for a side by side split screen does not create a frozen display of one larger and one smaller video. Instead, it will make one vid slide in to be of equal size to the other. Sorry I misled you there. Instead of the Split Screen feature, what you can do is use the Picture-in-Picture overlay feature to insert one video into the other, and then expand out the size of the inserted video and slide it to the right or left. The display would show one video larger than the other, like this:

So, the slider question is somewhat of a moot issue regarding the question you asked. However, I am not sure why you are not seeing the adjustment slider when using the Split Screen feature.

Perhaps a corrupt preference is causing it. In that case, you might try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the slider appears.

If still no luck, try creating a new project and see if the slider appears in that one.

A reinstall of iMovie would be the next thing to try.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2019 7:37 AM in response to Tyutyi

Hi,

First, I need to make a correction to my previous post. The slider for a side by side split screen does not create a frozen display of one larger and one smaller video. Instead, it will make one vid slide in to be of equal size to the other. Sorry I misled you there. Instead of the Split Screen feature, what you can do is use the Picture-in-Picture overlay feature to insert one video into the other, and then expand out the size of the inserted video and slide it to the right or left. The display would show one video larger than the other, like this:

So, the slider question is somewhat of a moot issue regarding the question you asked. However, I am not sure why you are not seeing the adjustment slider when using the Split Screen feature.

Perhaps a corrupt preference is causing it. In that case, you might try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the slider appears.

If still no luck, try creating a new project and see if the slider appears in that one.

A reinstall of iMovie would be the next thing to try.

-- Rich

iMovie Split Screen - one side larger then the other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.