You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get 2 full horizontal video to split screen in iMovie

Hello, small video editing question.

I have 2 horizontal videos that I want to have side by side in a video, I know how to use the split screen feature but my problem is that this only gives me half of each video, and I need to have both full videos side by side, at least most of the video. Is there anyway I can do this on iMovie? If not does anyone have any recommendations for apps I can use to do this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 1:55 PM

Yes, you can do it with a little fiddling. You would use the Picture in Picture feature rather than the Side by Side feature

Create a new project and insert a black background in the main timeline. Then import and insert Video No. 1 into the timeline above the black background. (I masked the video with a red background for privacy.)

Select Video No. 1 by clicking on it. Then insert it into the black background with the Picture in Picture feature. From within the Picture in Picture adjust the size and position of Video No. 1 to make it smaller, and position it on the left side of the screen, leaving room on the right side for later insertion of Video No. 2. Share out the video to your desktop, and import it in to your original project. Then overlay Video No. 2 onto the imported video that contains the overlaid Video No. 1. Use the Picture in Picture feature to adjust the size and position of Video No. 2 so that it is beside and to the right of Video No. 1.

When you play your time line both videos will appear side by side on the screen, although made smaller to fit into the screen, and will play at the same time.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2021 1:55 PM in response to sophialxndra

Yes, you can do it with a little fiddling. You would use the Picture in Picture feature rather than the Side by Side feature

Create a new project and insert a black background in the main timeline. Then import and insert Video No. 1 into the timeline above the black background. (I masked the video with a red background for privacy.)

Select Video No. 1 by clicking on it. Then insert it into the black background with the Picture in Picture feature. From within the Picture in Picture adjust the size and position of Video No. 1 to make it smaller, and position it on the left side of the screen, leaving room on the right side for later insertion of Video No. 2. Share out the video to your desktop, and import it in to your original project. Then overlay Video No. 2 onto the imported video that contains the overlaid Video No. 1. Use the Picture in Picture feature to adjust the size and position of Video No. 2 so that it is beside and to the right of Video No. 1.

When you play your time line both videos will appear side by side on the screen, although made smaller to fit into the screen, and will play at the same time.

-- Rich

How to get 2 full horizontal video to split screen in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.