Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my 2017 imac restarting (bought in 12/2018)?

I bought this iMac in December of 2018 and it is already restarting almost every night. I send the report to Apple and this time I saved so I could try to figure out what is wrong. I was wondering if someone could give me some direction. Below is the configuration and attached is the link to the report.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

High Sierra 10.13.5 (17G7024)

3.8GHz Intel Core I5 – 16GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

Serial C0******1GJ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/41cragva1ko7lsm/iMac%20Restarts%202019-06-24.docx?dl=0

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 8:05 AM

Restarts can be caused by several different scenarios.

Random restarts can be caused by brief power outages or disruptions on your local electric grid during the night. To prevent the iMac from auto restarting after the loss of power, go to Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver and make sure that "Start up automatically after a power failure" is un-checked. Then if you find the iMac off instead of sleeping, it likely encountered some type of external power loss during the night.

Regular nightly restarts that occurs at the same time every night are caused by a set schedule that occurs at the same time every night. To check for a set schedule, go to Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver > click on the Schedule... button and make sure that nothing is checked or setup that would cause the iMac to Auto Restart.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2019 8:05 AM in response to Julio M

Restarts can be caused by several different scenarios.

Random restarts can be caused by brief power outages or disruptions on your local electric grid during the night. To prevent the iMac from auto restarting after the loss of power, go to Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver and make sure that "Start up automatically after a power failure" is un-checked. Then if you find the iMac off instead of sleeping, it likely encountered some type of external power loss during the night.

Regular nightly restarts that occurs at the same time every night are caused by a set schedule that occurs at the same time every night. To check for a set schedule, go to Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver > click on the Schedule... button and make sure that nothing is checked or setup that would cause the iMac to Auto Restart.

Jun 24, 2019 6:21 AM in response to Julio M

I suspect a fail(ing) power supply. Your 2011 is too old for an Apple Store to repair it however you may find an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider that can. I would not recommend doing this repair yourself as it can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

If you would like to, please post an EtreCheck report of the computer and we can look for any software issues.

Please post an EtreCheck report of your system and we can look for any obvious issues. Please click the link, watch the slideshow to learn how to use the tool and download and run the free version of the app and then post the complete report it produces as your reply to this message. 

When you have run the report and are ready to reply to this message please attach the report. You will see a screen shot below that indicates where to click in your reply message.

Why is my 2017 imac restarting (bought in 12/2018)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.