Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset ipad

Recently bought used iPad. I cannot update, nor download any apps on device because the old users info won’t reset or erase. Please help me reset this so I can use my iPad normally. Please

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 11:42 AM

If the iPad is activation locked, you need the previous owner to erase the device for you. If that’s not possible, you own a useless brick, and there is no way to erase it so that you can use it.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies

Jun 24, 2019 12:45 PM in response to Betabella72

If you are trying to activate an iPad or iPhone and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen or lost iPad or iPhone. You have no alternative. You must contact the previous owner to get permission to use the device. If you cannot contact the previous owner return the device to where you bought it and demand a refund. You will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it.

Reset ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.