Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari unusable

• I can't quit using Command+Q
  • the Quit Safari option in the menu is greyed out
  • I can't enter anything in the search bar
  • there is a dialogue box at the bottom asking me if I want to Keep or Don't Keep bookmarks etc. from Chrome - I cannot click on either option
  • I cannot click on any of the favourites
  • The Malwarebytes program, as suggested, did nothing
  • I can force quit but all problems return on reopening
  • The suggestions of doing something in preferences is useless because Preferences is greyed out

This is a brand new machine, set up clean, that is, I didn't use a Time Machine backup to transfer files from old Mac.

Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) running Mojave 10.14.5

And I can't dump the app because Apple.

Any ideas, insights and/or tips are very welcome.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 11:47 PM

This ended up being a pretty rare issue.

I was on the phone to Apple Support for quite a while. Tried a bunch of things to no avail. Then I remembered that, each time I opened the program there was, for a split second, a dialogue box. Now, we all know that an open dialogue box requires an action but this box disappeared before I had the chance to a) see what it was asking and b) to do anything. I surmised that it was probably asking if I wanted make Safari the default browser. I then worked out where the active button was, restarted the program and very quickly clicked where I though the button was. After that, it was fine. As the Apple guy said, it was just one of those out of the box issues that no amount of training can prepare you for.

So, fixed. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2019 11:47 PM in response to Eric Root

This ended up being a pretty rare issue.

I was on the phone to Apple Support for quite a while. Tried a bunch of things to no avail. Then I remembered that, each time I opened the program there was, for a split second, a dialogue box. Now, we all know that an open dialogue box requires an action but this box disappeared before I had the chance to a) see what it was asking and b) to do anything. I surmised that it was probably asking if I wanted make Safari the default browser. I then worked out where the active button was, restarted the program and very quickly clicked where I though the button was. After that, it was fine. As the Apple guy said, it was just one of those out of the box issues that no amount of training can prepare you for.

So, fixed. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jun 25, 2019 7:53 AM in response to Anthony Johnsen

If the above doesn't work, try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

You are entitled to 90 days of telephone support from Apple. Try contacting them.

Apple Support Contact

Work through the screens to get an email or chat option.

Apple Support by e-mail or chat

Jun 25, 2019 5:55 AM in response to Anthony Johnsen

Press and hold the shift key when launching Safari. One time deal.

1. Clear History : all history : [Clear History]. This will clear all history and cookies.
  2. Safari Preferences : Advanced : [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar.
    1. Option + command + e to clear browser cache.
  3. Safari Preferences : Extensions : temporarily disable all extensions in use.
  4. Quit Safari

Now run Malwarebytes for Mac. Then launch Safari normally. Any change?

Safari unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.