Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari closes immediately after application launch

I've read through as many fixes for this as I can find, including removing the entire Safari folder within the ~/Library folder, starting up in Safe Mode, and creating a 2nd admin account (Safari works fine on that one, if that's a clue for anything); MacOS shows no updates available. Safari still crashes within a second of its windows appearing.

I'm mostly stumped by how Safari knows what windows I had open the last time it crashed if I've removed all the Preference, Cache, etc. files from the Library. Every time I open it, it presents the exact same pair of windows (the main browser window with several tabs open and the Preferences window showing the Manage Website Data... button).

Running First Aid on the drive has yet to reveal any issues. When I open the Get Info Finder window for the Safari app, it does show something I've never seen before: 4 lines in the Sharing & Permissions section:

everyone - Custom

system - Read & Write

wheel - Read only

everyone - Read only

I don't think there should be two "everyone"s. And trying to delete the one that's deletable (wheel) produces a pop-up that says I don't have privileges to do so (even though I'm Admin).

Doing a file search on my Mac reveals several other Safari-related folders and files, but I'm not sure which I should start trying to remove. Most are related to "Frameworks" and "LaunchAgents."

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 2:30 AM

With Safari closed Completely.

Hold the SHIFT key and launch Safari from the Applications folder

This a Safe Launch of Safari

If still having issues follow the below method of Trouble Shooting.

Follow the steps in the order they are presented without skipped over items.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2022 2:30 AM in response to DashingDaveASC

With Safari closed Completely.

Hold the SHIFT key and launch Safari from the Applications folder

This a Safe Launch of Safari

If still having issues follow the below method of Trouble Shooting.

Follow the steps in the order they are presented without skipped over items.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues

Oct 16, 2022 9:38 PM in response to DashingDaveASC

The possible reasons that causes Safari keeps crashing on mac are:

1. Corrupted Safari extensions

2. Outdated macOS software

3. Too many open tabs

4. Physical RAM failure

5. Too many Junk/Cache

However, to fix the issue you can try the below methods:

1. Check for updates

2. Check Safari extensions

3. Clear Safari Junk/Cache

4. Check the Activity Monitor

5. Completely reset Safari

Hope it helps!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.