Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem playing multicamclips

after making an 8 min. multicamclip (5 cam's) on my iMac it seems o.k. but the next day playing and editing is terrible; stopping all the time, rendering takes a lot of time and on and after each play-command the snowball running. In fact; not workable. When switching angles "off", the timeline will run better but not all the time... I made this project with the same clips again on my macbook with the autom. settings too: perfectly MC-editing and playing.

Memory on my iMac is enough (50 HD and 12 Gig ram) the cpu uses a low % off the capacity. Other movies run properly. Just the MultiCam does not work a day after it worked properly. I did nothing else in the meantime. What can be the reasons? What can iI do? Thanks!

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 2:56 AM

"(Indeed; the perfectly working mc with the same projectclips was made by me on an old (2012) macbook with ssd 100Gig but 8 ram? Should that be thé reason?)"

Yes.

Rotating hard drives are much slower than SSD; plus, in playing several streams simultaneously, the drive's head has to seek back and forth to reach the different parts of the disk that have the files. An SSD, besides being much faster, does not have a seek penalty, it can randomly access any of the contents at any time.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2019 2:56 AM in response to Bruce27

"(Indeed; the perfectly working mc with the same projectclips was made by me on an old (2012) macbook with ssd 100Gig but 8 ram? Should that be thé reason?)"

Yes.

Rotating hard drives are much slower than SSD; plus, in playing several streams simultaneously, the drive's head has to seek back and forth to reach the different parts of the disk that have the files. An SSD, besides being much faster, does not have a seek penalty, it can randomly access any of the contents at any time.

Jun 25, 2019 9:30 AM in response to Bruce27

How many angles?

In what drive is the library on each mac?

If you are playing off a MBP internal SSD vs an iMac internal HD, that would easily explain why one can play fine and the other struggles.

With a multicam clip, your mac has to get several streams simultaneously, and drive speed becomes essential. You will not get decent performance in most cases with a single HD.

Jun 25, 2019 1:11 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I use 5 angles, the drive is the normal HD of the iMac (or macbook). It only appears when I have the angles "on", the movie runs very bad. switching of angles the movie in browser or timeline e runs o.k. I tried with a another 5 layer clips in the timeline: runs o.k. I guess i have to remove fcpX from iMac and install it again. do you think that 's a good idea?

problem playing multicamclips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.