Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp freeze on partition

Hello,

Ive been making bootcamp several times, but since I made the last update of software, the bootcamp on partitioning the disk it freeze, I tried the 2 ISO files available of windows 10. the update 2019 freeze on partitioning and the older update after restart to windows 10 it appear a document field with a ? on the screen and Ive to start the CMD + R to select the disk of OS.

Since then I've been trying to search for solutions but got nothing. any help?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 3:16 PM

Since you are getting a ?-mark folder trying to boot up your Mac it appears the partitions have gotten messed up unfortunately.

Usually this will be from having selected during Windows Setup the wrong partition (i.e. not selecting the "BOOTCAMP" partition) to install Windows to. The question is what to do now:

• Do you have a Time Machine backup by any chance made onto an external USB drive?
  • Do you strongly care about the data you had on your iMac, or is wiping everything and starting fresh an acceptable option?
  • If you press COMMAND-R does that take you into the macOS "Utilities Menu" (Recovery Mode) with a 4 options listed there? If not, you will need to press OPTION-COMMAND-R to boot into Internet Recovery Mode. Does Internet Recovery Mode take you into the "Utilities Menu"?

If you boot into Internet Recovery Mode, go into Disk Utility, and click on each of your drives listed on the left-hand side and take a photograph of the information on the right-hand side of the window and post those photos here that would help.

Ultimately though, unless recovering data is a top-priority, you are probably going to have to erase the whole system and rebuild reinstall macOS.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2019 3:16 PM in response to SoulSin

Since you are getting a ?-mark folder trying to boot up your Mac it appears the partitions have gotten messed up unfortunately.

Usually this will be from having selected during Windows Setup the wrong partition (i.e. not selecting the "BOOTCAMP" partition) to install Windows to. The question is what to do now:

• Do you have a Time Machine backup by any chance made onto an external USB drive?
  • Do you strongly care about the data you had on your iMac, or is wiping everything and starting fresh an acceptable option?
  • If you press COMMAND-R does that take you into the macOS "Utilities Menu" (Recovery Mode) with a 4 options listed there? If not, you will need to press OPTION-COMMAND-R to boot into Internet Recovery Mode. Does Internet Recovery Mode take you into the "Utilities Menu"?

If you boot into Internet Recovery Mode, go into Disk Utility, and click on each of your drives listed on the left-hand side and take a photograph of the information on the right-hand side of the window and post those photos here that would help.

Ultimately though, unless recovering data is a top-priority, you are probably going to have to erase the whole system and rebuild reinstall macOS.

Bootcamp freeze on partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.