Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

startup screen with spinning wheel forever

My Mac Desktop recently started having a spinning wheel at start up? After I input my password and press enter, the spinning wheel comes on and It takes at least a minute to load. Any advice is appreciated!

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 6:49 PM

The very next step is to try launching in Safe Boot Mode by holding down the SHIFT key at power-on for 30 seconds, and see if that works. I am assuming at least that'll work.

If that (presumably) works, just restart normally and see if things are cured.

However, if things are still unable to log into that user account in normal mode, but you could get into Safe Boot, go back into Safe Boot and set up a test user account and verify that at least works in normal mode:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Post back here on the results of these tests.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2019 6:49 PM in response to Piper8

The very next step is to try launching in Safe Boot Mode by holding down the SHIFT key at power-on for 30 seconds, and see if that works. I am assuming at least that'll work.

If that (presumably) works, just restart normally and see if things are cured.

However, if things are still unable to log into that user account in normal mode, but you could get into Safe Boot, go back into Safe Boot and set up a test user account and verify that at least works in normal mode:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Post back here on the results of these tests.

Jun 25, 2019 6:44 PM in response to Piper8

To begin please reset the NVRAM and restart in Safe Mode. Instructions for each are in the links below. Please post back with results in-case those do not work for you.

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Also, going forward we need information from you in order to help us diagnose what may be causing your problem. Please read

Writing an effective Apple Support Question

Jun 25, 2019 6:24 PM in response to Piper8

Which iMac Pro? What macOS? Forever or "at least a minute to load"? Seems a big gap between the two.

We can not see and are terrible guessers.

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode or from another Hard Drive or USB Flash Drive.

The iMac Pros have been having problems with the T2 chips and Bridge OS which runs the chip, which leeds to freezes and kernel panics. I strongly suggest bringing this up with Apple befoire your warranty runs out.

startup screen with spinning wheel forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.