Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse speed setting resets to default after restart

My mouse speed setting is always resetting itself to default after restarting my MacBook Pro.

I already tried to solve this issue by ressetting PRAM.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any hint :)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 2:07 PM

Hi all again,

I found out that the App MagicPrefs that I’ve been using for years, is no longer maintained anymore.

I’ve only been using the app to enable a middle click on my Magic Mouse—however it seems that it has been the underlying cause for the speed issue.

Thanks all for your help though!

8 replies

Jun 26, 2019 4:11 PM in response to adrian-92

Hi adrian-92,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that the scrolling speed for your mouse is resetting back to default after restarting your Mac. I also see that you've tried resetting the PRAM and the issue persists. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. I'd recommend using these steps to start your Mac in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

In safe mode, set the speed of your mouse to your preference using these steps: Adjust double-click and scrolling speed of your mouse or trackpad

Next, restart your Mac normally and test for the behavior again.

Should the issue persist, use these steps to test for the behavior in a new user account and let me know what you find: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Can you also let me know what kind of mouse you're using? Wired or wireless?

Best Regards.

Jun 27, 2019 8:59 AM in response to adrian-92

Hi Adrian-

Thank you for taking the time to work through those steps and provide additional details. Can you please clarify the following?

When you say your "current user account is defined as “Standard”, not “Admin" do you mean the user account that you normally use that's having trouble with mouse speed, or the test account you set up?

If you're referring to your normal user account, is there another Administrator account you can use to change your user account from Standard to Administrator? This info will help: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Was the test user account set up as Standard or Administrator?

Warmest Regards.

Jun 27, 2019 11:25 AM in response to adrian-92

Hi Adrian-

Thank you for clarifying. I'd suggest changing your personal user account to an Administrator, then testing to see if the behavior with your mouse continues after setting the speed and restarting.

Although this seems to occur only with your user account, I'd also suggest trying to unpair and pair the Magic Mouse again if the issue persists: Set up your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, and trackpad

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Jun 27, 2019 4:07 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi brenden,

thank you for your effort.

I tried the safe mode procedure and it seemed to work at first. After the first restart the speed was set as defined.

But after I restarted my MacBook several times the preference changed again to default with no pattern whatsoever.

Sometimes the setting stayed correct for several restarts and then it switched to default after another restart.

However it seems like this issue does not apply to changing the mouse speed on a new user account.

Does this mean I would have to create a new user account and copy all my data and settings?

By the way my current user account is defined as “Standard”, not “Admin”.

And I’m using a wireless Magic Mouse 2.

Thanks again!

Best,

Adrian

Jun 28, 2019 2:12 AM in response to Teddy_B

Hi Jameson,

thanks for joining.

Before I will try and apply your suggestion just one more thing I noticed:

1) I started my Macbook using my user account (1) realizing my mouse speed was slow, which having a look at the mouse preferences confirmed

2) I rebooted my Macbook using the Admin account (3) where the mouse speed was set to my preferred speed (which I do not recall to have set before at any time)

3) I rebooted my Macbook using my user account (1) and had a look at the Accessibility Preferences where the mouse speed was set correctly, whereas the Mouse Preferences had the mouse speed set at default speed again—and my mouse actually uses the default setting as well.

Anyways I will try your suggestion and will keep you updated.

Thanks all.

Jun 29, 2019 1:21 AM in response to adrian-92

Hi all,

Unpairing and pairing my Magic Mouse again didn’t fix the problem.

And I just notice that my previously described behavior also occures without rebooting and switching accounts:

I started my Macbook using my user account (1) with my mouse moving at the expected speed.

This could be confirmed by checking the Mouse Preferences and Accessibility Preferences as well.

But after closing the System Preferences my mouse speed got slow again ant the Mouse Preferences showed the speed set at default again.

I would like to try Jameson’s suggestion. Is there a way to convert a Normal account to an Admin Account or do I have to set up a new account?

Mouse speed setting resets to default after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.