Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extend wifi from ARRIS Modem with direct ethernet connection

I have a direct wired connection from my arris cable modem, from my wifi provider, to my apple time capsule. At present the time capsule creates it's on network and is extended with 2 airport expresses. I would like to extend the original signal as opposed to creating a new one.

Thank You.

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 8:41 AM

We assume that the Expresses are also connected using a wired connection.

You cannot "extend" with a wired connection since the "extend a wireless network" setting will only work with a wireless connection between the Time Capsule and other AirPorts.

Configure the AirPort Expresses to "create a wireless network" that uses the exact same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password as the Time Capsule network, and you will have a "roaming" network, which is far superior to an "extended" network in terms of speed and reliability.

If you are thinking of trying to extend the Arris WiFi network using a wireless connection with the Expresses, this is not possible, since Apple's "extend a wireless network" setting will only work with other Apple routers.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2019 8:41 AM in response to cq1945

We assume that the Expresses are also connected using a wired connection.

You cannot "extend" with a wired connection since the "extend a wireless network" setting will only work with a wireless connection between the Time Capsule and other AirPorts.

Configure the AirPort Expresses to "create a wireless network" that uses the exact same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password as the Time Capsule network, and you will have a "roaming" network, which is far superior to an "extended" network in terms of speed and reliability.

If you are thinking of trying to extend the Arris WiFi network using a wireless connection with the Expresses, this is not possible, since Apple's "extend a wireless network" setting will only work with other Apple routers.

Jun 26, 2019 2:48 PM in response to Bob Timmons

This solved my problem or made it worse, I don't Know. Thanks Tim, here we go. My airport time capsule sits next to my ARRIS cable modem from ATT. It has a direct connection too my Apple Time Capsule. I now have a wireless net work setup on the Time capsule which is extended wireless to two airport expresses. It works, but, there is always interference with the ATT network since it has its own wireless output and the ATT signal is at best bad. In addition after 22GB it is slowed down ( I never measured though it always in the 70Mbps) So I wanted to just wanted to have one viable network on so I tried to extend the ATT network. My original network 25 plus years ago was apple. The signal came to the house and was inputed into an airport express. When what ever chawed ATT came in the house and said that won't work with our equipment and have a battle with them every time one enters my house. I have the system setup just as you suggested. Thanks for the help. I guess my next step maybe to neutralized the ATT wifi signal. Than You NS Lewis

Jun 26, 2019 4:26 PM in response to cq1945

You can usually just simply turn off the WiFi function on the ATT router.

Look for a label on the back or bottom of the router that tells you what the admin IP address is for the device and password. With ATT, it is usually something like 192.168.1.254. Type that number into your browser and enter the admin password.

If you need more help, ATT support can help with the process.

There will usually be a "main" page with subtitles or tabs for different functions. Look for the Wireless and there will be an option to turn off the WiFi on the ATT router. Nothing else will change.

extend wifi from ARRIS Modem with direct ethernet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.