Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend a network with Airport Time Capsule

Hello. I have been renting my gateway from isp for to long and and going to buy a new gateway.

Currently i am using Xfinity gigabit gateway as modem and router, then I have a Ethernet connection going to my gen 5 time capsule. The TC is set up to create a WiFi network and is in bridge mode. The Xfinity is also set up to create a WiFi network. Both routers are broadcasting the same ssid on two bands.

Everything has been working great and have no complaints. So when I set up my new gateway (Arris sbg 7400) I still want both routers to broadcast signals so I can reach all areas of the house.

my question is, on the TC, should I set it up to extend a network? It seems like the proper way to do so. Not sure why I didn’t do it last time is set everything up.

I know Apple won’t extend WiFi signals of third party routers in wireless mode, but I am wondering do they allow it if I am wired to my gateway? If so what is the best setup for my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 9:34 AM

It's pretty simple. Whenever an AirPort router connects to a network using an Ethernet connection, the AirPort must be configured to "Create a wireless network".......no matter whether the AirPort is connecting to another Apple router or a third party router.

If the AirPort connects using Ethernet......and.....the AirPort is incorrectly configured to "Extend a wireless network", that will set up a huge feedback loop that will crash the network......no matter whether the AirPort is connecting to another Apple router or a third party router.

The only time that the "Extend a wireless network" setting would be used would be if an AirPort router connects to another AirPort router using only a wireless connection.....and......the user does not mind losing half of the potential speed on the network, which will always occur when a network is extended using a wireless connection.

If you use Apple's AirPort Utility setup "wizard", the application will scan the network and automatically suggest the correct setup for the situation at hand.

Technically speaking, when all of the routers connect to a network using an Ethernet connection and broadcast the same SSID using the same password, this is called a "roaming network".

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 9:34 AM in response to tomfromsewickley

It's pretty simple. Whenever an AirPort router connects to a network using an Ethernet connection, the AirPort must be configured to "Create a wireless network".......no matter whether the AirPort is connecting to another Apple router or a third party router.

If the AirPort connects using Ethernet......and.....the AirPort is incorrectly configured to "Extend a wireless network", that will set up a huge feedback loop that will crash the network......no matter whether the AirPort is connecting to another Apple router or a third party router.

The only time that the "Extend a wireless network" setting would be used would be if an AirPort router connects to another AirPort router using only a wireless connection.....and......the user does not mind losing half of the potential speed on the network, which will always occur when a network is extended using a wireless connection.

If you use Apple's AirPort Utility setup "wizard", the application will scan the network and automatically suggest the correct setup for the situation at hand.

Technically speaking, when all of the routers connect to a network using an Ethernet connection and broadcast the same SSID using the same password, this is called a "roaming network".

Jul 10, 2020 7:35 AM in response to tomfromsewickley

my question is, on the TC, should I set it up to extend a network?

No, the TC must be set up to "Create a wireless network". Simply change the name of the SSID and password on the TC to match the SSID and WiFi password of the new gateway.

"Extend a wireless network" is a setting that would be used only if the TC was connecting to another Apple Airport router using a wireless connection, not an Ethernet connection.

Your next question might be can the TC connect to the Xfinity or Arris gateway using a wireless connection and extend the network in that manner. The answer is no, since Apple designed their "extend" setting as a proprietary feature that will only work with other Apple AirPort routers.

Extend a network with Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.