Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an External GPU for my iMac.

Hello, I have a late 2015 iMac with Mojave on it currently. I was interested in the "Razer Core X" which basically is an External GPU that you can connect through Thunderbolt 3. I have already contacted their support and they said I should come over here. I have two questions:

1. Does my iMac Late 2015 support eGPUs (External GPUs) onto it? Am I able to connect the Razer Core X (which will have an upgraded graphics card on it, such as an AMD graphics card since Macs don't support Nvidia Graphics Cards)?
  2. This question might be able to answer the first one, but based on my mac, am I able to use a Thunderbolt 3 on it? If so, where on the back of the Mac would I plug it into? (Looking for a picture of where I'd put the Thunderbolt 3 into the mac)

Thanks a lot if you can help!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 11:02 AM

We are end users like you, not Apple employees. However, this Apple support article discusses the subject and lists some compatible aftermarket hardware:

Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

Jun 27, 2019 4:07 AM in response to inferno1234

The short answer is no.

The long answer is maybe, with significant hacks to your system that

could lead to instability, system crashes, corruption of data. Even if that

doesn't happen, every macOS update is going to break the hack and

you will need to re-apply it, if it will even still work after the update.

Basically, you can end up spending a lot of money for a world of hurt.

Using an External GPU for my iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.