Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue and red screen with red glitching dots on macbook pro screen

The macbook pro is a mid 2012, 13 inch model, this is the screen I see, theres more or less similar change in a seemingly superimposed colour wash on the display. Anyone with any clue to fix it? Apple service centre near me simply suggested a factory reset.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 3:49 AM

Hey There!

I am happy to help. This could be due to water damage or a loose cable. But if it is not you can reset the VRAM. First shut down your Mac. Press the power button. Before the grey screen appears, press the Command, Option, P, and R keys at the same time. Hold the keys until your computer restarts and you hear the startup sound a second time. Release the keys.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2019 3:49 AM in response to Rem99

Hey There!

I am happy to help. This could be due to water damage or a loose cable. But if it is not you can reset the VRAM. First shut down your Mac. Press the power button. Before the grey screen appears, press the Command, Option, P, and R keys at the same time. Hold the keys until your computer restarts and you hear the startup sound a second time. Release the keys.

Jun 27, 2019 8:35 AM in response to Rem99

You might need to repeat the above 2 or 3 times. If the above doesn't work, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility/First Aid. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase. Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility, then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data.

Blue and red screen with red glitching dots on macbook pro screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.