Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

resetting an iphone 4s

i just got this phone from a friend but it was their friends phone and im trying to factory reset it but i cant cause i dont have the old owners password.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 11:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 11:52 PM

If you are having a white screen with activation lock and it shows an obscured email address (x****@gmail.com for example) then the iPhone 4s is Activation Locked by the previous owner. Only they can unlock it by going to www.icloud.com and removing the device from their Apple ID. This is a security feature to prevent stolen iPhones from being accessible or usable when it's still tied to someone's account. You can forward the previous owner this How-To guide:

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

If you have a black screen that's asking for a numeric passcode or it says disabled, that can be put into recovery mode easily and "restored" (erased) with a computer running iTunes.

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

If it is the first possibility (activation lock) and you cannot get a hold of the previous owner who still has it tied to their account, the iPhone can only be discarded (or preferably) environmentally recycled. It won't be useful for anything else without them releasing it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2019 11:52 PM in response to alexsismarie

If you are having a white screen with activation lock and it shows an obscured email address (x****@gmail.com for example) then the iPhone 4s is Activation Locked by the previous owner. Only they can unlock it by going to www.icloud.com and removing the device from their Apple ID. This is a security feature to prevent stolen iPhones from being accessible or usable when it's still tied to someone's account. You can forward the previous owner this How-To guide:

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

If you have a black screen that's asking for a numeric passcode or it says disabled, that can be put into recovery mode easily and "restored" (erased) with a computer running iTunes.

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

If it is the first possibility (activation lock) and you cannot get a hold of the previous owner who still has it tied to their account, the iPhone can only be discarded (or preferably) environmentally recycled. It won't be useful for anything else without them releasing it.

resetting an iphone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.