Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Awakened by NWS (National Weather Service) alert

After suffering from insomnia for days, I was enjoying an easy sleep when I was awakened at 2 AM by a siren like sound issuing from my iPhone. It turned out it was a flash flood warning from the NWS! I got a similar sound a minute later from an android phone also in the bedroom. Apparently, the local authorities thought it was necessary to wake people up at 2 AM to tell them watch out for flooding on the roads. The android phone is being decommissioned and doesn't even have a carrier anymore, so the alert must've come through Wi-Fi or other means. On the iPhone, underneath the alert on the Notifications screen was a Settings button, but tapping this just brought me to general notifications--I do not see anything about local alerts there. A silent alert would be all right but a loud siren is ridiculous. I thought I had "do not disturb" turned on. I have the phone in my bedroom for emergency purposes.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 1:49 AM

5 replies

Jun 27, 2019 9:45 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

Timothy Arends1 wrote:

I have the phone in my bedroom for emergency purposes.

In my part of the world, flash flooding would be considered an emergency. Homes in my city get flooded all too often with the heavy rains that we have received over the past few years.

I feel for you if you suffer from insomnia. As I get older, a good night’s sleep is harder and harder to come by. Having said that, I would rather be awakened by an emergency alert than suffer the consequences that may occur, if I wasn't notified by the alert.

Jun 27, 2019 9:51 AM in response to Demo

I agree completely regarding getting vs not getting the alerts. People need to remember that the flood warnings aren't the only emergency notifications liable to set it off. Even if one isn't concerned about things like flooding for whatever reason, tornados should get immediate attention... The neighborhood where I spent much of my childhood was devastated by multiple tornados not all that long ago... (Dayton Ohio). The house my grandfather built, and where he lived until he passed away, was completely wiped out.

A side note regarding sleep. I've had more and more issues as I age as well. I've found a nightly cortisol manager, sometimes in combination with a melatonin supplement helps immensely. It takes several days of taking it every night before it becomes really effective, but it's make a huge difference for me. And no grogginess the next morning as with OTC sleep aids.

Awakened by NWS (National Weather Service) alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.