Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emergency alert didn’t sound through Do Not Disturb

Last night there was a fire evacuation alert. I didn’t see the notification until this morning. I had Do Not Disturb on. There was no sound. I couldn’t have slept through it, as it’s usually pretty darn loud. My setting for emergency alerts is on in the notification. My phone wasn’t on mute.

if this is a glitch, please fix Apple. This could be a matter of life and death! Luckily I was in the immediate fire zone, but I can’t imagine what would have happened!

anybody know how I can submit an actual feedback to Apple for this?

thanks!

iphone 11

ios 13.1.3

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 2:40 PM

Interesting, since Emergency Alerts are supposed to go through with Do Not Disturb on. According to the Do Not Disturb support document, Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support and the Emergency Alerts support document, About emergency and government alerts on iPhone and Apple Watch - Apple Support neither mention them being blocked, not do they mention them going through. However, a couple of websites, not from Apple, that specialize in the iPhone and other things mention that they cannot be blocked by Do Not Disturb. The Emergency Alerts link I provided does talk about configuring your iPhone for test alerts, but there is no schedule for that. If it is like the ones you hear on the radio, they are generally the first Tuesday of the month. Ours in Illinois are usually at 10:00am.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 2:40 PM in response to Rabbity

Interesting, since Emergency Alerts are supposed to go through with Do Not Disturb on. According to the Do Not Disturb support document, Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support and the Emergency Alerts support document, About emergency and government alerts on iPhone and Apple Watch - Apple Support neither mention them being blocked, not do they mention them going through. However, a couple of websites, not from Apple, that specialize in the iPhone and other things mention that they cannot be blocked by Do Not Disturb. The Emergency Alerts link I provided does talk about configuring your iPhone for test alerts, but there is no schedule for that. If it is like the ones you hear on the radio, they are generally the first Tuesday of the month. Ours in Illinois are usually at 10:00am.

Oct 28, 2019 2:56 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks again Chris for your reply! I did contact Apple Support and the technician told me that since it is difficult to test an emergency alert, he couldn't really troubleshoot it. I guess that's reasonable? The only suggestion he offered was to have me restore my phone and see if that would fix it, which I'll keep in mind as last resort, but at least it's been reported. I will check out the link you provided and see if I can catch one of those test alerts and try it out.

Emergency alert didn’t sound through Do Not Disturb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.