Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortcuts for symbols and special characters (eg hashtag)

I found out by accident that, on a British Mac, a hashtag can be written by pressing Option + 3. This does not appear on any of the usual lists of shortcuts. There must be many similar shortcuts for symbols and special characters. Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list?

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 7:09 AM

Welcome!

Because there are so many localized keyboards, finding convenient shortcut information can be hard. However, the solution is already built into your Mac OS. From System Preferences, open Keyboard prefs and select the "Input Sources" tab. At the bottom of that section, select the check box:

That puts this icon in your menubar:

When you click the icon, one of the options is "Show Keyboard Viewer." Select that and you get an onscreen, interactive representation of your localized keyboard:

Holding the modifier keys (shift; option, shift + Option; etc) on your physical keyboard will show the changes those modifiers create in the virtual representation. You can always access this function from within a program so you don't have to leave you current page to look up special characters a web page.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2019 7:09 AM in response to pauldsh

Welcome!

Because there are so many localized keyboards, finding convenient shortcut information can be hard. However, the solution is already built into your Mac OS. From System Preferences, open Keyboard prefs and select the "Input Sources" tab. At the bottom of that section, select the check box:

That puts this icon in your menubar:

When you click the icon, one of the options is "Show Keyboard Viewer." Select that and you get an onscreen, interactive representation of your localized keyboard:

Holding the modifier keys (shift; option, shift + Option; etc) on your physical keyboard will show the changes those modifiers create in the virtual representation. You can always access this function from within a program so you don't have to leave you current page to look up special characters a web page.

Jun 27, 2019 8:26 AM in response to pauldsh

pauldsh wrote:

There must be many similar shortcuts for symbols and special characters. Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list?

As Allan Jones said, Keyboard Viewer is the best way to explore the option shortcuts. For specific info on how to make accented characters and certain other symbols with the US, British, and ABC Extended layouts,, a useful list is at

https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemac/

Jun 28, 2019 7:17 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you Allan for your incredibly clear description of how to bring up the virtual keyboard. It’s now up and running.

Thank you, too, to Tom for that link and to Old Toad for your contribution.

There is much here, as I suspected, that is useful to me. I need to write in European languages and so the German double S and the Spanish upside down question mark in particular I have been looking for.

Shortcuts for symbols and special characters (eg hashtag)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.