Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add total across sheets

Hi

I have an invoice set up in numbers. I want to add the total of each sheet (in cell F40) into a final sheet at the end with a grand total.

However, as the year goes on I need to add sheets so I cannot have a set amount of sheets at the start.

In Excel I had the formula =SUM(start:end!f40) on the total page, so I had a blank sheet titled start, and a blank sheet titled end at either end of the invoice sheets. Therefore, in Excel as long as I added a new invoice between the blank start and end ones, the total page would include it.

I cannot for the life of me work out how to set up similar in numbers. The nearest I can get is to add a new sheet manually to the total page formula every time I add an extra sheet to the workbook.

Any ideas?

Thanks

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 8:29 PM

Ahh. Yes, the great Indirect function. This will be your best friend to get this done.

https://help.apple.com/functions/mac/9.1/#/ffa596db0e

You will want to create a sheet that is essentially your "Review" or "Summary of Sheets" sheet. You'll add a table, and then you'll have a column where you will name each Sheet in your document. In an adjacent column, you'll use Indirect to reference the cell address of the total from each sheet.

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW, COLUMN,,,SHEET NAME&"::"&TABLE NAME))

Then just do a Sum of the Column of the Index, and you've got an on-going, running template that automatically updates itself as you add rows.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2019 8:29 PM in response to leighfromgrays

Ahh. Yes, the great Indirect function. This will be your best friend to get this done.

https://help.apple.com/functions/mac/9.1/#/ffa596db0e

You will want to create a sheet that is essentially your "Review" or "Summary of Sheets" sheet. You'll add a table, and then you'll have a column where you will name each Sheet in your document. In an adjacent column, you'll use Indirect to reference the cell address of the total from each sheet.

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW, COLUMN,,,SHEET NAME&"::"&TABLE NAME))

Then just do a Sum of the Column of the Index, and you've got an on-going, running template that automatically updates itself as you add rows.

Jun 30, 2019 9:16 AM in response to leighfromgrays

So, this solution is not completely congruent to excel (very few complex solutions are), but at the moment it's a workable solution that I believe will help you as you continue to flesh out your new workflow (changing from excel to numbers will likely necessitate some change even if minor).

Create a Table of contents, or Index Table for all your invoices. Keep it simple. Put Months on Header Row, Companies you created invoices for in the corresponding month in rows below. Then create a separate table for the totals only and use the same formula in discussion prior to tell the cell where to get the total. For example,

NOTA BENE: You must name the table the exact same as you are naming the corresponding sheet as follows.

Voila. Simply continue to add the company names in your table of contents table as you add invoices and your set.

I would recommend to duplicate your sheets to create new invoices, but honestly its up to you as long as the table names and position of the invoice total remains consistent.

There's several ways to organize your "Summary of Sheets" sheet, so play around with it and make it work for you however you think is most beneficial. Hope this is helpful.

Jun 30, 2019 9:58 AM in response to MwithP

So, here is the invoice I am creating in one tab/sheet.

The total payable is added to a running total that appears in the tab/sheet in the Total April 18 - March 19 tab/sheet, as pictured below in the total paid cell.

So when i need to add a new invoice, i can insert a new tab/sheet anywhere between those marked ‘start’ and ‘end’ and the formula (as shown in the original post) will add any new total that is in the same cell in the new invoice, without me having to change anything. I cannot do this, as the formula does not work in numbers.

Jun 29, 2019 12:12 AM in response to MwithP

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

With my current excel sheet, I add month as I go throughout the year, as I invoice different companies every month, so there may be more than one invoice per month. When I add a new month in excel, because it is added between the blank ‘start’ and ‘end’ sheets, the total (or in your example, summary) sheet adds it automatically.

In your answer it looks like I will need to manually add to the summary sheet every month. If my understanding is correct, is there anyway I can do it like I do in excel, where I had a sheet to the workbook and the total is automatically added to the total?

Thanks

Jun 29, 2019 2:46 AM in response to leighfromgrays

When I add a new month in excel, because it is added between the blank ‘start’ and ‘end’ sheets, the total (or in your example, summary) sheet adds it automatically.

Not sure how you are doing this in Excel. I tried doing what you describe.

In any case, Numbers does not have the capability, if I understand correctly what you are trying to do.

SG

Jun 30, 2019 8:13 AM in response to leighfromgrays

So my original answer is ultimately scalable, but yes, requires some planning in advance. Also, I'm not entirely sure how you're organizing your spreadsheet because it sounds like you're referring to sheets and tables almost interchangeably, but they are two distinct objects in a document, and you must keep that in mind when you build out your summary tables.

If you are adding multiple invoices to a sheet (meaning you have multiple tables in a sheet), then I would recommend to separate your summary table into two tables, one that is looking at sheets (which should be labeled as months based on your description) and another table that has the max number of invoices you might generate in a given month, and you'll want to name each Table you are creating the invoice for (make it generic like "Invoice 1, Invoice 2, etc). You can then continue to use the "Indirect(Address...)) formula to scale your summary sheet without doing additional work each time you had a table to a sheet (an invoice to a sheet).

The most important part of engineering a spreadsheet is to fully understand the problem, which I will admit going on the information you provided that I may not fully grasp what you're trying to do.

Posting screenshots, or links to your document will help us get a better picture of what you're trying to solve for and how you've constructed your current solution so we know how to offer help.

I would recommend you duplicate your document and anonymize the invoices if you're going to post a link, by the way. Good luck.

Jun 30, 2019 8:24 AM in response to leighfromgrays

Apologies if I am coming across muddled. I will try to simplify what I am doing.

There is one invoice/table on each worksheet. There is up to 20-25 worksheets in each workbook. Unfortunately I cannot screenshot as I cannot open it on my ipad (the main reason I want to switch to numbers).

Each worksheet is named for the month and company so “march - company a”, “march - company b”, “april - company a” and so on.

The total on each work sheet is added from the entries in row G and totalled in cell G40.

So I want cell G40 in 20-25 sheets to add together to give a grand total in a sheet at the end entitled ‘total’.

i have a blank sheet on either side of all of the monthly sheets called start and end. So I can add a sheet between the start and end sheets and it will add it to the total, without me changing the formula on the total sheet.

Add total across sheets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.