Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages

How do I auto populate a cell in pages? I have the table all set up for invoices. I want it to add the total for 2 cells, which it was doing automatically but stopped for some reason. Thanks in advance!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 12:30 PM

Hi SuFuGirl,

Here's a step by step description of the process:

We want to SUM the two values in cells B2 and C2, and display the result in cell D2

1. Click once on cell D2 to select it.

With the cell selected, press = to open the formula editor.

type   sum 

SUM will appear twice, once in the editor, the other in the bar below the editor.

Click either copy of SUM.

Click value, then click cell B2. type a comma.

The first 'value' will change to the cell address B2.

When you type the comma, a new 'value' will appear.

Click value, then click cell C2.

Your formula in now complete.

Click the green checkmark button to confirm the formula and close the editor.

The formula's result will be seen in the cell (D2) containing the formula.

Regards,

Barry

PS: This was done with a table in Numbers, but the process is the same in Pages.

B.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 12:30 PM in response to SuFuGirl

Hi SuFuGirl,

Here's a step by step description of the process:

We want to SUM the two values in cells B2 and C2, and display the result in cell D2

1. Click once on cell D2 to select it.

With the cell selected, press = to open the formula editor.

type   sum 

SUM will appear twice, once in the editor, the other in the bar below the editor.

Click either copy of SUM.

Click value, then click cell B2. type a comma.

The first 'value' will change to the cell address B2.

When you type the comma, a new 'value' will appear.

Click value, then click cell C2.

Your formula in now complete.

Click the green checkmark button to confirm the formula and close the editor.

The formula's result will be seen in the cell (D2) containing the formula.

Regards,

Barry

PS: This was done with a table in Numbers, but the process is the same in Pages.

B.

Jan 2, 2022 3:02 PM in response to SuFuGirl

SuFuGirl wrote:

, I have to click below to get the keyboard to pop up since I do not have a separate keyboard. When I push = it just types it in the cell and nothing comes up for formula. Sorry I just can’t figure this out. I do appreciate your explanation but I figured it out without a separate keyboard last time and now it’s not cooperating!

If you are working on an iPad, I don't think Pages supports formulas in tables. Here is how to do it in Numbers:

https://support.apple.com/guide/numbers-ipad/insert-formulas-and-functions-tan727173a8/ipados

Dec 30, 2021 7:23 AM in response to SuFuGirl

Here is a table example with product information, cost, qty, and line totals. And a final Line Total summary.

I selected each column and set the cell data format accordingly.

There are two formulas in this table. There is a Line Total formula associated with cell E2 thru E4, and a Line Total Summary located in cell E5.

In E2, I clicked once to select the cell, and then entered an = to open the formula input. I then entered C2*D2 and pressed enter to set that equation. I then replicated this formula downward by passing the pointer over the bottom of the E2 cell to reveal a gold dot, and then clicked and dragged downward to include cell E4. This automatically produced Line Totals for the line items.

In cell E5, I entered the = and the formula became SUM(E2:E4) to provide a grand total of the line items.

Does this clarify?

Dec 30, 2021 5:37 AM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry! I have figured this is what happened but I don’t know how to add a formula to the cell. I tried clicking on the cell and then clicked on the paintbrush and went thru every option but I don’t see a way to fix it. I also tried adding an = sign and SUM in the cell but neither of those worked either.

Jan 2, 2022 11:42 AM in response to Barry

As soon as I click on the cell, I have to click below to get the keyboard to pop up since I do not have a separate keyboard. When I push = it just types it in the cell and nothing comes up for formula. Sorry I just can’t figure this out. I do appreciate your explanation but I figured it out without a separate keyboard last time and now it’s not cooperating!

Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.