You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard commands such as using the command key to select separate cells in Numbers

I am unable to select a block of cells in Numbers using the shift key, or disconnected ones using the command key. In fact, I am also unable to select a cell, then draw with the handle through a block of cells to select them. This seems to be true also for menu items.

The same is true in Pages. I am unable to select a block of text for example.

I have the latest OS 10.14.5

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 12:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 3:25 PM

Boot into Safe Mode and try selecting cells as you normally do from there. Reboot normally and try again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

5 replies

Jun 28, 2019 3:06 PM in response to VikingOSX

That is what I have been doing for years, but what happens now is when I do that a single cell appears where I clicked on the lower right cell. Same thing with the command key, if I click on two separate cells only the last one I clicked on appears.

Also, if I click on a cell, then drag the lower right handle and map out a collection of cells, when I release the stylus it contracts to the lower rightmost cell.

Jun 28, 2019 4:53 PM in response to johnfromcanaan

The last version of Numbers where you could select multiple, even non-contiguous cells using the shift or command key was in Numbers '09 v2.3. Starting in Oct 2013 with the replacement Numbers v3.0 application, and ever since, one could not do what was more conveniently available in Numbers '09.

The preceding animated GIF was done in Numbers 6.1 on macOS 10.14.5. The animation ends without showing the grips on the selected cell range between the first and last clicks.

Keyboard commands such as using the command key to select separate cells in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.