Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers for Mac

When viewing a spreadsheet, how do you turn the letters at the tops of columns and the numbers next to rows on and off? I would like to view the spreadsheet without them blocking my view of the cells.

I would have thought there was a simple command in View but there doesn't seem to be one...

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 4:03 PM

8 replies

Feb 14, 2021 5:01 PM in response to Badunit

We frequently need to check the previous week for missed or cancelled lessons and the following week to place students in classes for replacement lessons. With the window sized to a single week the easiest thing is to click on the scroll bar to the right to go back or forth one week at a time. The DAY and DATE cells are colour-coded as a quick reference to whether we are looking at last, this or next week. Having the header frozen wouldn't work for us. But thank you for the suggestion.

I should mention that I am just changing to Numbers for Mac after 20 years of using Excel. There's lots to learn.

Feb 14, 2021 5:12 PM in response to SpeakYourMind

The column and row reference tabs are visible whenever the table is 'active' The assumption is that if you've selected a cell, you intend to do something with the contents of that cell. Hovering the pointer over a table on which there are cells referenced by a formula on a different table whose cell you have selected, will make the reference tabs appear on the referenced table.

Deselecting the table and its cells will deactivate it and hide the reference tabs, but selecting any sell will make them visible again.

Your suggestion regarding the ability to keep them hidden seems useful. Use the Provide Numbers Feedback menu item in the Numbers menu to Make a feature enhancement request directly to Apple.

PS: The situation in your screenshot of the table with the column reference tabs in front of the 'top row(s) of the table is coused by Freezing the headers.

Freezing header rows keeps the header row(s) visible at the top of the document window as long as any other row of the table is still visible, while the body rows slide behind the header rows and out of the window.

Unfortunately, if the reference tabs are showing, they to will be kept on the screen, blocking view of the top visible body row or two, With the table not selected, hiding the reference tabs, it is still possible to scroll the sheet and the tables on it without re-selecting those tables.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 14, 2021 9:58 PM in response to Barry

Thank you for your response, Barry.

I understand 'why' they have the column letters and row numbers. It was just how to make them appear and disappear that had me foxed - Badunit explained it to me. Part of the problem is that I couldn't find what they were called. I see you refer to them as 'reference tabs' but a search for that term in the Help menu brings up nothing at all. I still have no idea what they are called...

My screenshot is of the spreadsheet without any frozen headers - I've just aligned the top row of the timetable with the top of the screen, which has given that impression.

If I were to make any suggestions to Apple my first one would be to provide a glossary of terms. I spent over an hour this morning trying to find out how to make the letters/numbers disappear. I went through every item in every menu twice before going on the internet. Then all I could find on the internet was info about how to hide columns and rows. I have sent Apple a link to this thread so they can see the problem I had.

Feb 15, 2021 11:41 AM in response to SpeakYourMind

I was able to find the "reference tab" term by searching one of the actions it is used for: Hide rows or columns of a table.

Whether it's in the current help docs, I don't know.

My search actually directed me to the Numbers '09 user guide (still useful, although many new features are not included, and several features present in that version have not been reintroduced in the post 2013 versions.)

You can make your suggestion regarding providing a glossary via the Provide Numbers feedback menu item in the Numbers menu. I'd suggest sending the same message as Pages feedback as well.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.