Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I navigate a list in Numbers, with a long, alpha-sorted sheet, by pressing a key to jump to that character?

Numbers for Mac. How to navigate in the same/similar way as with a Finder detailed file list? IE, quickly jump within an alpha-sorted list: Press the desired letter/number key matching the leading character in an alpha listing.

To clarify: In Finder, viewing a detailed file list, pressing any character key moves the cursor to the keyed character, matching the first character of the filename.

Can the same navigation be done in Numbers?

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 1:00 AM

"Can the same navigation be done in Numbers?"

To the best of my knowledge, no, but you can set up a relatively simple search target set that will let you reproduce it fairly closely.

Add a column to the table to serve as an 'index' of the rows.

I added a new Header column to the left of what was column A, but this can be any column.

In the first data row, enter this formula. (Mine is in A2)

=B2&"!!"

Fill down to the last row of the table, then sort the table on column B.

(The sort can precede the steps above, if desired).

Above is the first few sorted rows of the table.

To get to a the first row where the column B entry starts with W, replace what is in the 'search for' box with w!! or W!!.

The Find and Replace panel can be closed between searches, then opened for each new search, or may be placed in a location near the top of the table, but not on it, and left open for use.

When changing to a new location, you need only replace what is in the box with the new letter, followed by two exclamation points.

Searches of this type always search the entire table. I assumed the table would never contain a letter followed by two exclamation points in any cell other than those in the index column.

Your table may not always fit that description, but might be relied on to never match an "!!A" pattern. Pick a pattern that will work with your table.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2022 1:00 AM in response to ajmich

"Can the same navigation be done in Numbers?"

To the best of my knowledge, no, but you can set up a relatively simple search target set that will let you reproduce it fairly closely.

Add a column to the table to serve as an 'index' of the rows.

I added a new Header column to the left of what was column A, but this can be any column.

In the first data row, enter this formula. (Mine is in A2)

=B2&"!!"

Fill down to the last row of the table, then sort the table on column B.

(The sort can precede the steps above, if desired).

Above is the first few sorted rows of the table.

To get to a the first row where the column B entry starts with W, replace what is in the 'search for' box with w!! or W!!.

The Find and Replace panel can be closed between searches, then opened for each new search, or may be placed in a location near the top of the table, but not on it, and left open for use.

When changing to a new location, you need only replace what is in the box with the new letter, followed by two exclamation points.

Searches of this type always search the entire table. I assumed the table would never contain a letter followed by two exclamation points in any cell other than those in the index column.

Your table may not always fit that description, but might be relied on to never match an "!!A" pattern. Pick a pattern that will work with your table.

Regards,

Barry

Can I navigate a list in Numbers, with a long, alpha-sorted sheet, by pressing a key to jump to that character?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.