Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Aid

Guys,

I can not run First Aid on my iMac using MacOS 10.14.5. It goes as far as checking snapshot 1 of 15 and then the computer hangs up and I have to do a hard shutdown to recover.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Phil

Macintosh B'gosh

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 9:11 PM

Re beta, sorry, misread the OS version. :-/

Not sure what you mean by the container. You can either run it while booted to the same hard drive you are analyzing (which can be problematic at times), or you can run it while booted to the Mac Recovery partition.

About macOS Recovery - hhttps://support.apple.com/HT201314

Disk Utility can only repair so much. If it can't handle this then your alternatives are to restore from a known good backup, or try a tool such as Diskwarrior which is costly. It is pretty good but it's a gamble since the last tiem I checked there was no trial version.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2019 9:11 PM in response to Limnos

Re beta, sorry, misread the OS version. :-/

Not sure what you mean by the container. You can either run it while booted to the same hard drive you are analyzing (which can be problematic at times), or you can run it while booted to the Mac Recovery partition.

About macOS Recovery - hhttps://support.apple.com/HT201314

Disk Utility can only repair so much. If it can't handle this then your alternatives are to restore from a known good backup, or try a tool such as Diskwarrior which is costly. It is pretty good but it's a gamble since the last tiem I checked there was no trial version.

Jun 30, 2019 3:43 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos,

On the left in Disk Utility I have "Internal > APPLE HDD > Container disk1 > My iMac". I have no idea what Container means either. It has just appeared lately. On selecting either and running First Aid they lock up the computer. The disk is formatted "MacOS Extended (Journaled). Should it be reformatted APFS?

I have a new iMac ordered and arriving in the next few days. I'd like to understand this new formatting before I transfer all of my data to the new SSD. Can you explain it?

Thanks for your help.

Phil

[Email Edited by Host]

Jun 30, 2019 3:46 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos,

I'm repeating my last reply since the team did not like me including my eMail address in the last reply and I don't know if you got it or not.

On the left in Disk Utility I have "Internal > APPLE HDD > Container disk1 > My iMac". I have no idea what Container means either. It has just appeared lately. On selecting either and running First Aid they lock up the computer. The disk is formatted "MacOS Extended (Journaled). Should it be reformatted APFS?

I have a new iMac ordered and arriving in the next few days. I'd like to understand this new formatting before I transfer all of my data to the new SSD. Can you explain it?

Thanks for your help.

Phil

First Aid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.