Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't the MacPro 5,1 being supported by Catalina?

Just curious why the 5,1 isn't being supported by Catalina. There is nothing hardware wise that would prevent it from running on the 5,1 MacPro. Unlike Mojave that required a metal capable video card. Processor, RAM, Video capabilities are virtually the same between the 6,1 and 5,1 MacPros. In fact the 5,1 is a faster more powerful machine than the 6,1. Sounds like another case of planned obsolescence just to get you to buy a new machine.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 3:56 AM

It is indeed disappointing and purely on performance and features a MacPro5,1 is clearly as capable as a MacPro6,1 and should be able to run Catalina.

However on an age and business basis the MacPro5,1 should already have long had supported dropped and therefore the fact it can run Mojave was a bonus and this was due to Apple having no choice due to then lack of a successor to the MacPro6,1. Now that the Mac Pro 2019 is launched that no longer applies.

I have seen some mutterings that suggest hacks are possible to run Catalina on a MacPro5,1 and with the minimal difference between a 5,1 and 6,1 this is not unsurprising.

Other than 'planned obsolescence' the security issue referred to by Grant is the most logical reason.

NOTE: This security issue - the fact that the CPU chips in a MacPro5,1 are not being patched to address a new vulnerability is not down to Apple but rather Intel who have chosen or are unable to provide a fix. It is somewhat pointless but who knows, perhaps if there had been a patch Apple might indeed have supported Catalina officially.

Personally my biggest disappointment is the continuing lack of support for Nvidia video cards. :( There is also the fact that in effect Apple are still pushing proprietary AMD cards and whilst the situation is not (yet) as bad as the MacPro6,1 there is a danger this will mean newer better video cards may even if only AMD might still be either slow to be released or not released at all.

(In theory you can fit a 'standard' AMD card in the new Mac Pro but there are no AMD cards with Mac firmware, the fact Apple are using proprietary versions of AMD cards makes it far less likely that AMD will start providing Mac firmware versions of standard cards.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2019 3:56 AM in response to verdejt

It is indeed disappointing and purely on performance and features a MacPro5,1 is clearly as capable as a MacPro6,1 and should be able to run Catalina.

However on an age and business basis the MacPro5,1 should already have long had supported dropped and therefore the fact it can run Mojave was a bonus and this was due to Apple having no choice due to then lack of a successor to the MacPro6,1. Now that the Mac Pro 2019 is launched that no longer applies.

I have seen some mutterings that suggest hacks are possible to run Catalina on a MacPro5,1 and with the minimal difference between a 5,1 and 6,1 this is not unsurprising.

Other than 'planned obsolescence' the security issue referred to by Grant is the most logical reason.

NOTE: This security issue - the fact that the CPU chips in a MacPro5,1 are not being patched to address a new vulnerability is not down to Apple but rather Intel who have chosen or are unable to provide a fix. It is somewhat pointless but who knows, perhaps if there had been a patch Apple might indeed have supported Catalina officially.

Personally my biggest disappointment is the continuing lack of support for Nvidia video cards. :( There is also the fact that in effect Apple are still pushing proprietary AMD cards and whilst the situation is not (yet) as bad as the MacPro6,1 there is a danger this will mean newer better video cards may even if only AMD might still be either slow to be released or not released at all.

(In theory you can fit a 'standard' AMD card in the new Mac Pro but there are no AMD cards with Mac firmware, the fact Apple are using proprietary versions of AMD cards makes it far less likely that AMD will start providing Mac firmware versions of standard cards.)

Jun 30, 2019 8:15 AM in response to verdejt

i/We/ are just Apple users here same as you. We don't work for Apple and Apple doesn't post or reply here. Technically I agree with you, in theory it should be okay. However, the last "cheese grater" mac was released in 2011, about, which is 9 years. You don't have to buy a new machine if the Mac Pro you have is working fine. However, should you want to take advantages of whatever Catalina might offer you, then yes, you'd have to. Anyways, Catalina is in early beta, and I know better than to try to install early beta stuff on my Mac Pro. Eventually, I'm sure someone will come up with a way to install it on your 5.1 MacPro, eventually. Not right now though...

john b

Why isn't the MacPro 5,1 being supported by Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.