Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY? can the MacPro 5,1 not run Catalina?

Seeing that the Mac Pro 2010 can use metal graphics cards, mine has a 3.42GHz 12 core upgrade, AMD Sapphire RX590 8GB graphics card, 128gb RAM and runs PCIe SSDs plus upgraded to Bluetooth 4,1, so i can use handoff etc... Apart from pointing to Apple’s Oct 19 list of so called compatible units.. Can anyone actually prove WHY it can not run Catalina! There are so called ways of bypassing this that I have seen on the web...Seems to me Apple are just writing a bit of code to block the 5.1 models so you are compelled to upgrade to the 7.1 model... Supposedly the 2012 Mac Mini can run Catalina! That is no where near the capability of my machine.

Very Disgruntled

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 4:23 PM

The Mac Pro (macPro5,1) hardware is aging out, and—among other limits—lacks mitigations for recent Intel x86-64 security issues.

Additional mitigations for speculative execution vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs - Apple Support

Full mitigation will reportedly reduce existing performance by as much as 40%. So yes, processor performance is a factor here. This overhead on older Intel processors presumably, as newer Intel processors have in-built mitigations for various of what has been identified. And as has been documented elsewhere, some of these exploits can arrive from a nefarious web site downloading JavaScript into and running in a web browser.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 4:23 PM in response to AKNS3

The Mac Pro (macPro5,1) hardware is aging out, and—among other limits—lacks mitigations for recent Intel x86-64 security issues.

Additional mitigations for speculative execution vulnerabilities in Intel CPUs - Apple Support

Full mitigation will reportedly reduce existing performance by as much as 40%. So yes, processor performance is a factor here. This overhead on older Intel processors presumably, as newer Intel processors have in-built mitigations for various of what has been identified. And as has been documented elsewhere, some of these exploits can arrive from a nefarious web site downloading JavaScript into and running in a web browser.

Jan 2, 2020 6:57 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank you for providing the feedback link. Just submitted my comment. I think management made a significant strategic mistake by not providing some way forward to keep the Classic Mac Pros in the upgrade chain. Started out with iMovie way back in the old days, progressed through an iBook, MacBook (white) '06 model, Mac Pro 1,1 then 3,1 (still have) and not a 5,1. Upgraded iMovie to FCP X shortly after it came out.

Does management think that by not finding a way to support the earlier Mac Pros that we will eventually buy a new one? If so, with an entry price of $6,000 they're sadly mistaken. The days of steep growth in media is over and the incremental improvements that lie ahead are small. The difference between HD, UHD, 2K, 4K, 8K are getting smaller and smaller, and the difference from stereo to 5.1 is small.

3D? That's what the new gear would be for but the market for that where new equipment will be required will be limited as existing equipment is already reasonably capable. I'm sure they did a thorough market analysis and will find new markets in medicine, design, and some other areas but for photo, video, and audio I don't see the huge need where they can sell a lot of for $6K (and up) machines.

Maybe our way forward will be to buy up used research and development cast-off equipment as they upgrade in the years ahead?

Jan 2, 2020 4:13 PM in response to AKNS3

The 5,1 will work very well with Catalina once it has a metal capable graphics card. The list on https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208898 will provide the approved cards but there are flashed cards being sold. I opted for the Mac Edition 5950 primarily because it has the regular OS X startup procedure and other functions. The 5,1 is really fast and the fact that the card is somewhat slower than the 8GB models doesn't bother me but as they say "your mileage may vary".

Another factor with one of the flashed cards is much less current draw; hence, runs cooler, but I didn't investigate that option but it sounds interesting. I don't do gaming, just video editing.

Other improvements include a Sonnet USB-C PCIe card that was really inexpensive (~ $50) and speeds up data transfer a lot and an SSD drive. Otherwise, with four drive bays what's not to like? For info, the 2012 MBP (mid) is USB 3.0 capable.

Jan 2, 2020 2:33 PM in response to AKNS3

Apple considers that model too old, and the hardware isn't powerful enough to run the features of Catalina. I had a 2010 Mac Pro with the Nvidia Metal card, and Mojave was noticeably slower than High Sierra. Such that I reverted it back to High Sierra.

Yes, there are hacks out there that will allow you to install Catalina, but they involve installing unsupported (not written by Apple) firmware. You're completely on your own if you go this route.

Jan 2, 2020 2:52 PM in response to AKNS3

Thank you for your reply. This is not aimed at yourself.

I understand that the patches are not Apples and taken at your own risk, but disagree on the processing power.

I have not noticed any slow down or hit, using Lightroom Classic "It's slow to start with". Capture One Pro, Final Cut X etc...

My 5.1 outperforms my friends 6.1 maxed too and certainly thrashes a late 2012 Mini and probably even later versions.

Therefore Apple's so called list is hoodwinking, and I'm sure they know it!

There is no definitive that has been given for such minimal machines still allowed to run the latest OSX 10.15 against a far more capable/powerful machine, hence why it was upgradable in the first place.

Regards

AKNS3

Jan 2, 2020 3:56 PM in response to dialabrain

True the 2018 Mini might, but it's the 2012 Mini that can run Catalina.

Performance isn't a misconception I'm under. This mini model still only has btooth 4.0 and nothing hardware wise that my model has not.

This is why i do not understand Apples doing?

As originally stated there is "no definitive reason" from Apple, apart from them just them saying nope not supported!

That I find is unacceptable, but Apple never comments.

I have been using Apple since the IIx and a big fan, but this just doesn't compute.

I'm not expecting my MacPro to go on forever, but such a little change seems to kill machine that worked under Catalina betas.....!

I'll get a new PCIe SSD and try a copy, once Catalina's bugs are ironed out.

I was just hoping that someone here had already tried and could confirm any findings of issues.

Regards

AKNS3

WHY? can the MacPro 5,1 not run Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.