Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It is possible an upgrade to Ventura on a Mac that is not supported

Hi,

I have in my house to work at home an old Mac mini Late 2012, intel core 2.5 processor with 8GB Ram, and 1TB SSD (some upgrades I did and the Mac is super fast, we even had to change the motherboard a year ago, so the little thing is like new).

The issue is not the Mac, she is is working fine, but I use Microsoft Office and the Office Upgrade App is asking for a OS upgrade to Mac OS 11. The issue is I can not do that because the Apple Update app does not allow the upgrade, so I am stuck with Catalina.

So, my question is if there is a way to do the upgrade at least to Big Sur (OS 11), and if the machine really can support the system.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 9:38 AM

6 replies

Jan 20, 2023 2:55 PM in response to KikaCR

A good idea is to keep a clone backup. That way, in case you accidentally install an update that no longer works on your OS, you'll still be able to recoup the old licensed version with ease. The other thing is, Microsoft has already turned off their licensing server for older versions of office. As long as your computer has all the details of the license on it, that should not be of concern keeping the older OS. That's where a clone can come real handy in case something breaks down. You may not necessarily get the licensing info in a Time Machine, or Document/Application folder only backup.

Jan 21, 2023 2:02 PM in response to KikaCR

There remains an Option from Apple for this machine if interested ?

If the user whats the latest and greatest versions of macOS, all is not lost.

If the user wishes to explore the Apple Trade-In  Process where the Value of the exiting device could be used against the cost of a new Apple Computer, iPhone or iPad  

Or Shop Refurbished Apple computers at an Apple Reduced Cost

Have used both previously and have been satisfied each time.

It is possible an upgrade to Ventura on a Mac that is not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.