Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Mojave compatibility with OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD

Referring to an earlier thread—here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8551399?answerId=33934031022#33934031022—I'm experiencing an issue following the installation of an OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD into my MacBook Air running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5.

The issue:

After a period of inactivity/sleep; my MacBook Air will restart itself—sometimes twice before properly booting back up—following any keystroke, rather than simply waking from sleep. This is a new issue since the installation of the new SSD, which was built with the fresh installation of MacOS Mojave and a Time Machine restoration of data.

Diagnostics:

• I've attempted to restart PRAM on multiple occasions;
  • I've attempted resetting SMC—both to no avail.
  • MacOS's native diagnostic utility presented me with a 'VDH002' error—"There may be an issue with a storage device."

Having completed research on this issue; I uncovered OWC's firmware update component, which I thought/hoped would be my saving grace, based on other comments in the aforementioned thread. Teh details of which, are available here: https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/10/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmware-Update

Unfortunately, when loading the 'Marvell' utility; my drive does not show—nor does anything—under the 'Device' group. See below:

As it stands, I believe this to be a compatibility issue with the OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD and MacOS Mojave, however; I can't find anything to confirm this explicitly.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 10:53 PM

I heard back from Macfixit, who advised that it would be advisable to add 'standby' to the list of pmset attributes, setting it as '0', too.

If you're experiencing the same thing and want to set all of these options in one fell swoop; use the following command in Terminal/iTerm:

sudo pmset -a standby 0 ;\

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 ;\

sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0 ;\

sudo pmset -a powernap 0

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2019 10:53 PM in response to BrendanClay

I heard back from Macfixit, who advised that it would be advisable to add 'standby' to the list of pmset attributes, setting it as '0', too.

If you're experiencing the same thing and want to set all of these options in one fell swoop; use the following command in Terminal/iTerm:

sudo pmset -a standby 0 ;\

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 ;\

sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0 ;\

sudo pmset -a powernap 0

Jun 30, 2019 3:13 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for the feedback. It's "nice" to know that the diagnostic error is somewhat expected.

A few changes overnight seemed to have improved things—it might be still a little early to comment absolutely, though.

As above, I:

• Applied 'pmset' values for:

hibernatemode 0

autopoweroff 0

powernap 0

(It's easy to do via the command line/iTerm—just Google it.)

• Turned off the screensaver.

While I believe it's more the first point having the most impact; this was also worth a try.

Let's hope it's on the straight and narrow from here on in.

Watch this space.

Jun 30, 2019 6:09 AM in response to BrendanClay

Hmmmm... so the OWC help documentation actually advises that, "[t]his firmware process does not apply to the Aura Pro X series of drives."

Accordingly, the Marvell display issue might be entirely expected.

With that said, a bunch of OWC articles suggest that it should be fully supported and working:

"Upgrade to macOS 10.13 or later, prior to Aura Pro X2 installation. MacOS 10.13 and later versions include an EFI (firmware) update that adds support for the Aura Pro X to the host computer. If you do not first update the host firmware by installing macOS 10.13 or later onto the existing SSD, the Aura Pro X will not function properly once installed."

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/OWC-Aura-Pro-X2-SSD/IF123-133?o=1

Jun 30, 2019 10:33 AM in response to BrendanClay

FYI, the Apple Diagnostic will report errors for third party hardware.

Some SSDs have trouble with power save mode/sleep mode so in Energy Saver System Preferences uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

It appears you will have to work with OWC to help resolve your issue. Perhaps your SSD has a hardware issue or compatibility issue which will need to be resolved by OWC.

MacOS Mojave compatibility with OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.