Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you track cycling distance in health?

how do you track cycling with health in ios11?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 1:17 PM

Hey barryfish,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! It's my understanding that you are hoping to use the iOS Health app to track your cycling progress. I can help provide you more information to answer your question today.

The iOS Health app automatically tracks your steps, walking and running distances using the built-in accelerometer hardware on your compatible iPhone: Use the Health app on your iPhone or iPod touch. If you are using a stationary bike, it may be harder for the accelerometer to detect the movement. Be sure to run through the article above to learn more about Health on iOS and how you can add data from other applications and sources too.

If you are using an Apple Watch with your iPhone, make sure you are choosing the appropriate workout: Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch.

If you have a more specific issue, or question, please let me know.

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2019 1:17 PM in response to barryfish

Hey barryfish,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! It's my understanding that you are hoping to use the iOS Health app to track your cycling progress. I can help provide you more information to answer your question today.

The iOS Health app automatically tracks your steps, walking and running distances using the built-in accelerometer hardware on your compatible iPhone: Use the Health app on your iPhone or iPod touch. If you are using a stationary bike, it may be harder for the accelerometer to detect the movement. Be sure to run through the article above to learn more about Health on iOS and how you can add data from other applications and sources too.

If you are using an Apple Watch with your iPhone, make sure you are choosing the appropriate workout: Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch.

If you have a more specific issue, or question, please let me know.

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities!

Jul 2, 2019 2:19 AM in response to barryfish

Strava is free. You don’t need the paid-for version unless you want really extensive analysis. If you want to trace your route on a map the free one is fine and will connect a heart monitor too. There are others. Wahoo fitness or Polar Beat for example

I agree that Health should use gps, but it doesn’t. Maybe because it would reduce the appeal of Apple Watch which does.

how do you track cycling distance in health?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.