Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to remove defunct payment method - and unable to add a new one

Hi Everyone,

I lost my credit card not too long ago and it was the only payment method I had on file - now the card was deactivated by my bank and I was mailed a new one. When I try to update my payment method and click on "add payment", itunes tells me that one of my payment methods require verification. If I try clicking on "remove" next to the payment method I have, it tells me "unable to remove, family organizer requires at least one payment on file". I click verify, and click on remove at the bottom of that, it tells me the same thing. Therefore I can't remove my old payment method, and to add a new payment I am required to verify my old credit card. I can't do that since it was lost and the bank deactivated my card. What should I do to get a new payment method added to my account to replace that?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 5:53 AM

As described above there's a Catch 22 preventing users from adding, updating or removing a payment method. I incurred the same issue when trying to update via iPhone 10 XR, iTunes or the App Store. Our family uses Family Sharing of Purchases.

The solution is discussed in this Apple Support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203905, item 2.

The solution (work-around) from the iPhone is to turn off Family Purchase Sharing, replace the card, and family sharing back on. Here's how:

1. Turn off Family Sharing Purchasing: Settings> (your name / account info) > Family Sharing > Purchase Sharing > Off
  2. Remove existing payment method: Settings > Payment & Shipping > Payment Methods > Remove
  3. Add a new payment method: Settings > Payment & Shipping > Payment Methods > Add Payment Method
  4. Turn on Family Sharing Purchasing: Settings> (your name / account info) > Family Sharing > Purchase Sharing > Off

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2019 5:53 AM in response to Dudemanbro

As described above there's a Catch 22 preventing users from adding, updating or removing a payment method. I incurred the same issue when trying to update via iPhone 10 XR, iTunes or the App Store. Our family uses Family Sharing of Purchases.

The solution is discussed in this Apple Support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203905, item 2.

The solution (work-around) from the iPhone is to turn off Family Purchase Sharing, replace the card, and family sharing back on. Here's how:

1. Turn off Family Sharing Purchasing: Settings> (your name / account info) > Family Sharing > Purchase Sharing > Off
  2. Remove existing payment method: Settings > Payment & Shipping > Payment Methods > Remove
  3. Add a new payment method: Settings > Payment & Shipping > Payment Methods > Add Payment Method
  4. Turn on Family Sharing Purchasing: Settings> (your name / account info) > Family Sharing > Purchase Sharing > Off

Unable to remove defunct payment method - and unable to add a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.